Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man, This was tough!

Man, This was tough!

For those that were asking about those huge McIntosh Meters I picked up. Here is a sneak preview of what they will look like mounted in a 4 space blank panel. They should look damned nice with blue lights behind them.

Had one hell of a time cutting the panel. The aluminum plate is so soft it kept plugging up the blade on my dremel. It was a bitch just cutting this one hole.

Switches for changing the sensitivity will be located just below each meter. Thats why I mounted them so high in the panel. These are huge meters 7 1/2 inches High and 8 inches Wide.

Should look great in the rack though!

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBLGUY
    What about using a Dremel with cut-off wheels and some taped on guides to keep the cutting straight. May work and shouldn't clog up ....just wear out the wheels. Aluminum is pretty soft so they may last longer than I think...

They look real cool though !

Steve Gonzales

That Blue

Great idea Ken, there is something special about that cool blue lighting. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Aluminium is best cust with a lubricant, kerosene which helps stop the clogging.

Ian

Alex Lancaster
    After years of using kerosene, WD40, etc, I find that tallow or pig fat, cools the cutter and doesn´t let it clog, plumbers also use them for threading steel pipe.

Thanks Guys

I will try a lubricant for the final hole (wd40)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I will try a lubricant for the final hole (wd40)
    WD40 is not a good candidate for this, IMO. It is too light and will evaporate too quickly. You need to think like a machinist and use a good cutting oil - something that is viscous enough to stay in/around the bit and will collect the cuttings, while taking some heat away from the cut.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    WD40 is not a good candidate for this, IMO. It is too light and will evaporate too quickly. You need to think like a machinist and use a good cutting oil - something that is viscous enough to stay in/around the bit and will collect the cuttings, while taking some heat away from the cut.

Thanks BO will find something else.

Motor Oil?
    Tansmission Fluid?

Ken

How about cutting fluid? You can get a small bottle or can at any decent hardware store. There are nasty sulfur based ones and newer water based synthetics that can even smell like cinnamon.

Widget

BTW: Ian's suggestion of using kerosene is also fine... it's the old school method.

Cutting oil

Available at your local hardware store, there's different types for steel versus aluminum.

OR, stop by a machine shop with a small squeeze bottle (4 - 8 oz) in hand and ask for advice. They'll likely give you some of their current favorite to try, which they have in gallons there.

Cutting oil

Like Widget and Bo, and Ian say, use cutting oil, or kerosene. Ask which oil is recommended for the metal your cutting and use that!

We machine our trolley poles, which are steel, and a few other things around here, and cutting oil is what to use!

You may want to inquire about what is the right bit or blade to cut aluminum with as well. The right tools make a difference!

Those meters will look outstanding!
    scottyj

Do you have a blue tinted face or glass that will cover the meters? I don't think they are naturally blue.

Done

I would never attempt this again. I would pay a local machine shop the 100.00 to use a laser cutter.

Thanks for the help guys. The oil did help somewhat. Proper oil would have been better no doubt.

I am mounting blue LED's to give them a blue color. I have already tried it and they look great the way the bevels are cut the light spreads very evenly throughout the meter. I have four different colors I could use. I used part of the electronics from a Teac MB-20 meter bridge for the sensitivity controls. These meters are pure asthetics for the rack. You know....nothing looks better on a nice rack than a little movement!

Ken

Photo

Here we go
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice!

How you ever got those mounted into that couch, I'll never know...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information