Thread: Review of Jarrod's JBL 's

Review of Jarrod's JBL 's

Guys,

Check out this : http://jarrods.customer.netspace.net...ls/default.htm

I will be visiting Jarrod's JBL sound lounge tomorrow afternoon and will post an update. It should be very interesting.

Ian

So that is where he put all of those clamps I sent him....

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

paragon

Ja !!

Großartig !! Super !! Sehr schön !!
    Great!! Superious(?) !! Beautifull !!

Eckhard

Looks super. Well done!

Enjoy your visit, and give us a report.
    Out.

Well later on today I will make my way over at ground zero with a six pack.

By all accounts Jarrod has done an excellent job, not only the speakers but nice amps and other goodies...can't way to see and hear it.

Better make sure I got a different shirt on hey.

Ian

"Better make sure I got a different shirt on hey.

Ian"

Would have been a hell of a lot funnier if you had just worn the damn shirt!

Can't wait to hear what you think. Those speakers look great!!

Nice Job

Rob

I'll never be seen in front of the camera again.

Cheers

Ian

On Saturday afternoon I visited Jarrod to check out his project system, the JBL 4344 and 1500 Sub.

This was the first time we had actually met and so we spent a while talking about this history of his project, the journey and Jarrod's earlier involvement with JBLs when he was a band roadie many years ago. Before Jarrod commenced the project he researched several options including the popular 4435 Bi radial monitor but finally decided on the 4344.

This project has been a real class act from start to finish and with the help of many Lansing Forum Members incl The Widget, John Nebel, Bo and many others its turned out to be a real success story.

My first remark was these JBL's look as though they have just rolled out of the factory.

The wood grain finish and presentation is outstanding and the way the enclosures have been fitted up is jaw dropping. It reminded me of The Widgets handy work when I visited his workshop last May.

As it turns out Jarrod is something of a handy man. He built from scratch a very substantial and elaborate fish tank located on the right rear of the listening room which in a word was immaculate.

The system is configured around a Sony AV Pre amp and a Sony SACD DVD play as the main source with a large plasma screen centre stage.

A DBX Drive rack operates as a 3 way active crossover running the 1500's as subs below 47 hz, the 2235H from 47 to 280 hz and the 2122+horn+ slot above 280 hz running the 3134 passive networks. The power comes from a Crown K2 for the subs, a Crown L1 for the 2235's and a Playmaster Pro Series 111 for the midrange and top end. That's 800, 350 and 180 watts of power per side, heaps of fire power in my book. No doubt Jarrod will elaborate more on this in due course.

The system has been calibrated at the centre listener sweet spot using the mic and auto eq function with the DBX rive rack. There are plans to further fine tune the system once some plinth's are made up to protect the enclosure base from vac bumps.

We play a variety of CD's and DVD's and the system gave an impressive account of itself. The system was dead silent, no hum, hiss and fan noise anywere, the essential platform for a high resolution loudspeaker.

The typical qualities of these JBL's became quickly evident. Wide and smooth response, crisp definition and transients, realistic imaging and sound stage. They were also equally up to the task of revealing not only the artistic qualities of the recordings we played but also the production standards, which as we know can be frustrating at times. But that's what owning 4344's is about......

We talked about the potential virtues of using an analogue active crossover and while there may be some merit in this I could not really make a call on the sonic impact the DBX Drive rack as there are so many unknown variables in Jarrod's system.

I really look forward hearing this system again.

Thankyou Jarrod for a very pleasant afternoon.

Ian

jtgyn
    G'Day Jarrod,
    Very Very nice work!
    Regards Scott

Jarrod

Very fine work. Would love to hear them.

Ken

thanks...

Well it was good to finally catch up with Ian in person after the many forum exchanges, PMs, emails and phone calls on this journey to getting my pair of ‘top-end’(??) JBLs up and running. I must admit without reading a few of Ian’s original posts on the DIY projects and his first email that gave me a running sheet of how to go about the project I would not have even embarked on this at all.

It all started February 2004, so it has been a year, a lot of hard work but heaps of fun. Whilst I did source some parts from eBay it just would not have happened without the forum members to assist; so much advice, selling me their loved JBL drivers :-) , accepting USA orders and reshipping to me in OZ. So big thanks to the main players: Ian, Widget, Bo, Giskard, John Hubert, John Nebel, David, Rob & Michael. And special thanks to a long time mate here in OZ; Pete the kitchen cabinet maker extraordinaire. We spent two days in his workshop, with all his great gear, to make the cabinet shells (a 16mm MDF enclosure wrapped in a mitred 19mm veneered MDF outer).

Having never heard a set of 4344’s (or any in that series except a pair of 4350’s some 20?? years ago) it was good to get confirmation from Ian that the sound is in the right ballpark for this type of speaker. After listening to my brothers Everest’s and 4435’s on many occasions I still like the sound of the 2122 cone driver over any horn for vocal reproduction; he and many others may disagree but we all have different tastes.

So thanks again to all those involved.

Nice work Jarrod!

Thanks for the review Ian... Hope to make it down there one day and see what all the fuss is about.

Widget

my 15" drivers will not fall out.....

hahaha... yeah thanks for the clamps Widget (and the truth is out - I also got some from John Hubert as well).

the problem i had was i mounted the 2235s with 4 clamps in a + arrangement, as can be seen in some of the photos on my web mentioned in first post in this thread. then when i did the sub1500 cabinets i mounted the drivers with four clamps in a X arrangement.

it looked odd when stacked ontop each other. so it was either; move them, putty up the holes and repaint or just do eight clamps on each driver... i chose the latter.

jarrod

Thread Information