Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool 2397 Smith horn set-up

Steve Gonzales

Cool 2397 Smith horn set-up

My Bud in N.Y. just picked up these original JBL 2397's with rare 2329 dual throat adapters. He is beginning the initial trial runs with the 2435 HPL Be. Vertec drivers installed with aftermarket repro 1.5 to 2" adapters. I thought you would get a kick out of seeing these. Enjoy

Steve Gonzales

more

Steve Gonzales

yessir E

cool stuff.

Alex Lancaster
    Awesome, pls lt Us know how it sounds.

JBL Dog
    very cool!

So, what kinda of do-it-yourself JBL project is it sitting on?

This message comes from JBL Dog

Steve Gonzales

Diy

I know that the enclosure(s) is a L200 with a 136a, a 2202(?), 2312/2420, 2405 originally. I'm not really sure about the midbass, I'll have to ask him again. Super cool guy, very humble about his stuff and quite a private person, I've tried to get him to join the LHS but he prefers to just do his own thing ,although he does admire the LHS site and monitors the Forum from time to time. He has owned MANY pairs of 4343's,4333's,4315,L200L300's and just about EVERY great JBL model both PRO and Consumer. He purchased some L250 crossovers and a UREI 525 electronic crossover and some sweet 300B tube amps so it is time to tinker to see what he can put together. He is responsible for my newfound love of compression drivers. He consulted me when I first tried to figure out the Summit horn swap into my L222's. I first installed the LE85's with HL87 1500hz horns attached and was VERY,VERY dissappointed. He said that I needed a longer horn and so I researched the conical horn info on the LHS and Jammin' Jersey site to find the correct 800hz horn and have NEVER looked back. I will fill in the blanks as the project progresses along for those with interest.

Those dual entry throats were meant to generate massive SPLs not audiophile nirvana, but what the hell... they do look cool.

Widget

paragon

No

You never need this in your home !!
    No, i doenīt want use this dual throat.
    The phase ??

In my best Dr. Smith voice from Lost in Space, "Oh the phase, the phase!"

Widget

Steve Gonzales

For sure

Yeah, they have a lot of SPL potential for sure, but the same was said about my 2395/375's too and I find that they can play at normal levels just fine AND really knock your socks off when you turn it up. Neat toys. What do you think about a staggered crossover point? These amazing Be. drivers don't start to break-up until 15khz opposed to about 9-10k for Titanium. He is just exploring all the possibilities. Heck, you could almost live with using one for UHF duties right? Most people can't hear over 15khz anyways. Question: if the 2435HPL is rated at 117db @ 1w/1m, does the second one increase that to 120db 1w/1m? Is the consumer version using the same 3" Be. diaphragm? Hey Mr. Widget, did you buy some 076 lenses from Mike C.?

JBL Tech Notes say don't do it.

[Except to make air raid sirens, etc., maybe....]

Steve Gonzales

Incoming!

That's funny Zilch! what the heck?, he's gonna tinker and see what it does. He is like one of us, if it doesn't sound good then he won't keep it that way. Ya can't blame a guy for trying right?

paragon

Nothing can beat the 2397 wood horn, believe me !! Itīs the (prof) HiFi horn for your home !!

Eckhard

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    Most people can't hear over 15khz anyways.
    I hope that's not true for most people.

Question: if the 2435HPL is rated at 117db @ 1w/1m, does the second one increase that to 120db 1w/1m?
    Basically yes. It is also horn dependant.

Is the consumer version using the same 3" Be. diaphragm?
    I believe they are different in the amount of Aquaplas, but I may be making that up.
    Hey Mr. Widget, did you buy some 076 lenses from Mike C.?
    Yes. I also ordered some proper diaphragms. As soon as I get the diaphragms I will compare them to my 077s.

Widget

Steve Gonzales

Well now

Thanks Mr.Widget for catagorically answering all my questions and I look forward to your comparison tests of the 076/077. thank you Paragon, he has been wanting the2397's for a long time. He originally bought some homebuilt wood horns that were simular to the 2397's but didn't really like them. Don't you have 2397's?

Thread Information