Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool 2397 Smith horn set-up

paragon

Of course

Yes, Steve, 2397 and 2390 i compared to them. I had the 2390 in the early 80`s and sold them for a pair of 2397. Now i paid the same price for them if they are new in the early 80`s . But the sound of them is bad compared to the 2397. If i get a pair of low price 2395 i will also compare them. But i think they will have no chance to beat the 2397 (use for HiFi !!).

Eckhard

Steve Gonzales

I think you're right

I don't believe the 2395 has enough vertical dispersion in a small enviroment to compare to the 2397's. I love how SMOOTH the 2397's are and they don't have such a small vertical sweet spot like the 2395's do

paragon

I love the 2395 and 2390 !! But i think the 2397 is the better choice !
    Doen`t kill me !

Eckhard

paragon

First

The first hearing of the 2397 was : "Oh Good, what have you heared before ?".
    Really !!

Eckhard

Steve Gonzales

nice looking

I like the looks of the 2397 too and the dreamy-wide horizontal dispersion. My friend is also tinkering with how and what mounts to use and how high to place them. Any suggestions?

paragon

Bedroom ?

Your 220 are in your bedroom ? So you use the bass for other things ?
    This is it ! Playing now in Radio. The 2397 are on top of my 4530 with a little angle down to the hearing position. That`s all.

Eckhard

Steve Gonzales

You're funny

Hey, at 42, Ineed all the help I can get.They don't call them Disco's for nuthin'
    thanks for the info.

I like the 2397 right at ear level. I used them on top of the cabinets with no baffle and toe them in toward the listening position.

They do not sound good with the 2327 1" to 2" adapter. I have no idea about the 1.5" to 2" adapter, but my recommendation would be to use one 2" driver and the 2328 adapter.

Widget

Steve Gonzales

thanks Mr Widget

He will tinker with the present until he figures out what he likes. He does own a nice pair of 2445J's so, if it doesn't work out to his liking, he'll probably go with your suggestion of the 2328/2445J. thanks

paragon

Hey Steve, i need it more than you, cause i`m 47 !
    I use a "boom" sub !

Eckhard

RIP 2009
    I just got off the phone with Steve's bud in NY, (on another subject), and he said he plans to use these dual-throat 2397's as 2-way, with one driver handling the low portion and the other the highs. That ought to be interesting!

John

It may work out for him. Definitely an interesting experiment. I would expect there to be some severe cancellations as the two drivers' outputs mix in the throat. The response will certainly be a bit erratic.

I wonder what HF driver(s) he will try. None of the 1", 1.5", or 2" drivers really go "all the way up."

Widget

lfh
    Neat experiment, indeed. It would be fun to bolt on a ring radiator with some kind of adapter and cross at say 12 kHz.

BTW, isn't there a German manufacturer that makes 2-way large format drivers?

Wink Define "all the way up"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    It may work out for him. Definitely an interesting experiment. I would expect there to be some severe cancellations as the two drivers' outputs mix in the throat. The response will certainly be a bit erratic.

I wonder what HF driver(s) he will try. None of the 1", 1.5", or 2" drivers really go "all the way up."

Widget
    1-20k sounds like "all the way up" to me since the 2405 only goes to 21.5K Hmmm, maybe I did my homework.

http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/vertec...0Chap%204A.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2405.pdf

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I would expect there to be some severe cancellations as the two drivers' outputs mix in the throat. The response will certainly be a bit erratic.
    Why would you expect cancellations with two identical drivers? Assuming -3dB at crossover, wouldn't they just add normally? I really don't know - is there some phase issue?

John

Thread Information