Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurround Step-by-step

Resurround Step-by-step

What follows is an attempt at a step-by-step photo and caption Thread for resurrounding a JBL low-frequency transducer. I thought I'd compile this since I was doing a pair, and it might be of interest.

Every resurround I have done is just a bit different – got it’s own unique issues. The 2122H’s done here were quite simply the easiest I have worked on – the surrounds were happy to come off.

So, what follows are learned techniques that work fine, are gentle on the cone, spider and coil, and achieve good results. Most of all, I am deeply indebted to my new-found friends, Rick Cobb (looneytune2001 on eBay), who mentored me through my first, seemingly terrifying experience, and whose instructions gave me the confidence to give this a try. His kits fit perfect, and instructions are excellent - use these pics as adjunct to his kits. And, "thatguy" here on the Forum who made the introduction, and likewise was enthusiastic about "doing it yourself".

My engineer had a great idea he shared over iced Corona’s while in New Mexico last week – in the 1970's, he placed the transducers on a “Lazy Susan” to do this work - a hilariously smart idea, because you keep rotating the dang thing for the entire project! Good thinking. Also, I try and cover the rear of the magnet/motor with masking tape to avoid scratches and soiling it with old surround.

Be patient, keep good music rolling through your version of the littlest Altec's, and be persistent.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, my idea of a workbench. Stand-up, covered with a rubber “Borco” mat that protects both the table and the transducer. Those cabinets on the wall are littlest 1974 vintage Altec Coronas refitted with LE8T and LE20, and a Cross-Tech 2-way crossover. Sweet…

Tools are close-up glasses, Swiss army knife and #10 Exacto. Lights are a mix of movable spots and floods, and two chic warming lamps to keep the basket warmer than typical coast-side foggy…
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 02:46 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 1

The 2122H has the thin hard-rubber ring on top of the surround, into the edge of the basket, and must be removed. Insert tip of knife straight down along basket edge, into the break in the ring, and gently pry away, and remove.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 06:12 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 2 view two

Another view
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 06:13 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 2

You can see the surround, which “looked” fine, is actually quite decrepit and crumbling. I usually first cut the surround off the basket, and then gently cut it off the cone – knife blade angled in slightly toward the cone to remove some of the old surround off the cone at the same time. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PULL THE SURROUND as the risk is too high you might tear the fragile edge of the cone.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-13-2003 at 08:38 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 3

Merely trim all around, and carefully remove the bits of old surround – they can be gummy, and even tar like when in the worst state, and will get insoluble black goop on any-and-everything.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:46 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 4

After cleaning all you easily can, place the #10 blade flat in the basket edge, and work around like a putty knife scraping all the glued surround off the basket – both the flat and the vertical edge. Be careful - for better cleaning the knife edge often faces toward the cone edge and might damage it if you slip, but keep you free hand clear, too!
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:47 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 5

These surrounds were so ready to come off, that I was able to carefully draw the #10 blade toward me, angled into the cone and working around the cone-edge, simply lightly scrap the surround off. A breeze and most atypical!
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:48 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 6

More commonly, you will need to invert the transducer and gently scrap the surround off the cone edge, working steadily around (and around and around…) the woofer. This is tedious, and it’s had to get good light on the subject. To avoid undue and uneven tension on the spider and reduce off-axis position of the coil, I place a ½” slab of birch under the cone – it fits inside the edge of the basket - to give support.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:49 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 7

A typical “Rick Cobb” kit, ready to go, with the 30Hz test CD, too.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:49 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 8

Ease the surround into position, working around the cone.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:50 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 9

For this basket, I resorted to this method of applying the glue – not my favorite nor most common, but the fit was SO good, there was no room for alternatives. I gently pushed open the cone edge, and worked around the surround with a bead of glue (exaggerated here for the picture – keep this type of activity to a minimum). More typically, you should put thin beads on both the surround and the cone edge, let dry a spell, then tack together. But, that approach wasn’t possible this time.

For this 2122H, I let it set a spell, and then begin pushing the cone-edge and surround together, repeatedly until it sticks. Wipe away excess glue quickly – it is water soluble while soft.

Note that at this point, the surround is NOT yet glued to the basket...
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-13-2003 at 08:42 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 10

View of the surround and cone edge, with the wet glue. Looking good. The glue dries clear, so it looks even better when dried. Periodically, keep working around the cone edge, one finger behind, one if front, gently pushing the surround and edge together.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-13-2003 at 08:44 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 11

While you wait for the glue to dry, you can start cleaning the hard rubber ring. You need to scrap off the old glue. This is one of the more time-consuming tasks, and can be sped up with a Dremel, but use one sparingly.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:51 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 12

NOTE: I mistakenly omitted the picture for this step!!

After the surrounds have healed to the cone edge, glue the surround to the basket. As in the prior glue step, gently bend-up the surround while laying a glue bead along the basket edge, working around the basket. After the glue "tacks up", gently press the surround onto the basket, and work around and around the basket getting a good seat.

Note that from here on out, the transducer is connected to an audio source – you should be playing the 30Hz test tone through the transducer to ensure the voice coil is centered. I use a CD Walkman on "repeat" mode... LISTEN TO THE TEST TONE FOR ANY MECHANICAL SCRAPING OR RUBBING SOUND.

The picture shown here is AFTER the surround has dried to the basket edge, and you are ready to glue the hard rubber ring into position. Lay a thin glue bead all around the edge of the surround, as close as possible to the corner of the basket.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:52 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Step 13

Now, its time to put the hard rubber ring into the basket edge. Run a thin bead of glue around the basket (see previous picture) – let dry a bit.

Ease in the hard rubber ring – note the butt-end join in the upper right. Before you slip this in, but a dab of glue on each butt-end. Gently press the ring into place, wiping off excess glue.
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-14-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information