Thread: TIFF files

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TIFF files

Don, are you able to add " TIFF, tif " files as a valid file type for attachments ?

- In my situation, (on a Mac) they represent a file size which is about 2 1/2 times smaller than a typical jpg and sport much better resolution when compressing colors.

- I'm finding that with the fairly laborious process I go through to save ( & then notate ) simulations of different tunings, I end up with images that look quite crummy when kept below the allowed image size. Saving as a tiff changes all that.

- This file type can always be removed if its not interpreted by the imaging plugins of standard browsers .

Thanks > Earl K

We can try it. My fear is one that you identified, that not everyone's browser will be able to see them. My guess is that any image quality problems you are having has to do with the program you are using to convert to jpgs. There is nothing magical about the image compression of TIF's since that file fomat does not specify a compression algorithm. In fact JPG compression is one of the most common types used within the TIF format. JPG compression is infinitely variable, and I have never had a problem with producing very legible JPG graphs and text within the size limits.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Earl,

I have run into this issue myself. On the PC that I run Clio on I can save my plots as TIFF or JPEG but the JPEGs look like crap. The work around I have found is to save them TIFFs and send them to my Mac where I have Photoshop. In Photoshop I can save them as JPEGs with no visible loss of quality. As Don mentioned the problem arises with the software doing the conversion.

As for size, I find TIFFs to always be much heavier in data than JPEGs.

Widget

Hi Don

So much for experiments - Don please remove the ability to load these attachments as TIFFs .

Thanks - but it was a no-go. My own browser (IE5 ) wouldn't even view them.

I spent the requisite time in Explorers' preferences area making sure the file-helpers were correctly directed to use the appropriate plugin for viewing this file type - still didn't work . I shouldn't have to reboot ( as far as I know ) to have these changes take hold . Anyways, a formula for confusion .

Widget, thanks for the heads-up and the look-see. My dilemma originates from the fact that my version of MacSpeakerz doesn't save to any other image format except its own file type. So I have to take a screen-shot of the window and then slog it from there. I have many programs that save to the jpeg format but they all are lousy at maintaining the color of the traces below 200k - even Illustrator . FWIW ; a 100K tiff file looked quite good .

Anyhooo

Just out of curiousity, could you add one of your TIF files to this thread? I'll disable that extension later. I want to experiment to see what JPG conversion settings are needed to maintain image quality. I do know that the most agressive settings can make text and graphics illegible. However at higher settings, I have images where my naked eye cannot detect any difference between a JPG conversion and an uncompressed TIF original.

Don

Okay

Here you go . I'll be curious to see who can actually see it .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information