Thread: Two Questions

Two Questions

Hello
    I have a couple of questions...
    #1. Can I "bridge" a standard reciever amp? I have a pair of 32-ohm woofers with a single crossover for a single 16-ohm load and I would like to be able to use both channels of the amp.

#2. What are the effects of using different impedance woofers and tweeters?
    I have 16-ohm woofers and 8-ohm horns, if I pair them together will the horns be too "Brilliant" ?

Any input is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by JBLROCKS
    Hello
    I have a couple of questions...
    #1. Can I "bridge" a standard reciever amp? I have a pair of 32-ohm woofers with a single crossover for a single 16-ohm load and I would like to be able to use both channels of the amp.

#2. What are the effects of using different impedance woofers and tweeters?
    I have 16-ohm woofers and 8-ohm horns, if I pair them together will the horns be too "Brilliant" ?

Any input is appreciated!
    Bridging an amp requires more than just speaker wire. Typically what you would do is feed one channel an in-phase signal and the other channel a signal that is out of phase. This would allow the amplifiers channels to drive a common load in opposite polarity. But some amps may not tolerate this.

The speaker would likely be connected to the + outputs of each channel. The - connections on most amps are electrically the same, they are connected. As to whether or not you amplifier would tolerate this is another question. If you decide to try it, you will need an inverting circuit for one channel. Then I would test with a speaker that is expendable and bring up a signal real slow and see what happens. Personally, I would not do it. Woofers are not terribly expensive and amps can be had quite cheap as well considering. Crossover networks can be redesigned too.

As to different impedances of speakers, it may not matter. If the tweeters and woofers are matched and not 4 different models, they should sound oK. At the crossover point you design for a crossover point that is reasonable for both the woofer and tweeter. If the tweeter is too loud, use a L-Pad or resistive network to tone it down. Put this L network after the crossover parts and before the tweeters. You may have to play with the crossover networks a bit, there will be interaction between the woofer and tweeter that may produce a harsher midrange than you like ( or a midrange hole)

Thank you very much!!

Thread Information