Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power handeling capability of L-100's

As long as you are not purposely abusing them power handling should not even be an issue with L100's. JBL's rating of 50 watts was a very conservative figure. I'll never forget hearing a pair of L100's driven by a Conrad Johnson 200 watt per channel mosfet power amp and tube preamp. I was shocked at just how dynamic they could be, provided the power is clean and the amp has some low end control. Not to mention how good they can sound under the right conditions despite their inaccuracies. That said I think a good 100 watt amp is more than enough power for them.

Mike

bob newton
    Somewhere in the middle. can't remember now. Also had some friends in Bethpage and Bethlahem. Have a good friend on Statton Island (female)

bob newton
    Mike, thats how I always figured it too!

bob newton

despite their inaccuracies

Inaccuracies?? Your not serious are you??

Alex Lancaster
    Seriously Bob, You need 10 times more speakers and amps for Your parties, L100's are for small rooms only; try 4560 enclosures with 2226's, 2426's with 2470 horns to start with, from then You could really get serious.

This will do the job. I believe it required around 40 McIntosh MC2300s... a bit more oomph than your Sansui.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by bob newton
    LMAO!! OK,so if I get this right, I can go to 75 watts and its ok if the bass makes the needles jump up to say 100 or more? As long as it is not constant?
    It took me a long time (and a few recones and new phragms) to figure out it's better to have an amp that is about twice to three times the rated continuous power of the speaker as opposed to an amp that is 1/2 the rated power of the speaker. A 100 watt continuous speaker typically will have no problem handling brief peaks of 200 watts as long as the signal is clean. Headroom is your speakers' friend.

This message comes from JBL Dog

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    Seriously Bob, You need 10 times more speakers and amps for Your parties, L100's are for small rooms only; try 4560 enclosures with 2226's, 2426's with 2470 horns to start with, from then You could really get serious.
    Ah, geez, I need to read the whole thread

I used to take L150's out on a few mobile gigs, big mistake. Fried the tweeters more than once. They may sound great in a 15 x 20 room, but you will tend to push them past their limits in a large environment. Get nice set of pro series if the party heads outside. I'm not familiar with the new pro series JBL's. In the MR series, 925's are nice. If you want something small and very efficient, the EV Sx100+ is a heck of a speaker for a 2-way 12". The QSC "PLX" pro series amplifiers are affordable and very light if you're in need of a little more power.

bob newton

a bit more oomph than your Sansui.

Looks wonderful! All I'd have to do is re-inforce my house with hardened concrete and steel beams. Do you think the guest would like it?

bob newton

L100's are for small rooms only;

Maybe the closet? My bathroom is small. Seriously, I see your point.

bob newton

Fried the tweeters more than once.

Ditto.

Obsolete

re: Fried the tweeters more than once

The only JBL tweets I've ever burned out were LE20's. I would cook them up good about every six months. Off to JBL they went, back they came - no charge. I never paid for the repair of a single LE20 or LE10A (used to burn LE10A's up too). Those days are over, both frying and free repairing.

Smile

My first component stereo was two original L100s, a Dual 1219, and a Kenwood KR-6160 that put out 70W/ch. It really had too little power for the L100s, though it could play them quite loud in my college corm room. For some of the campus lawn "grassers", it mostly clipped at the outrageous volumes we tried to drive it to.

JBL did do one free replacement of a blown 123-A when I sent it in with my "I have no idea what happened. It just stopped working." explanation.

When the output transistors on the Kenwood fried :shock: for the second time, I replaced it with a Kenwood integrated amp that put out 85W/ch, but it wasn't much better. Later I drove them with a Technics receiver pushing 100W/ch and they sounded better with the added power reserve.

When I went from receivers to separates, I drove them with a 165W/ch Soundcraftsmen A200, and they really sounded great. Now I'm running them off a Soundcraftsmen PCR800 with 215W/ch and they sound the best they ever have. I rarely go past -10 on the pre/pro's volume control, and the speakers play plenty loud with no discernible distortion. The amps don't even get hot driving this easy load. The clipping lights have never come on.
    Out.

Party speakers?

Cabaret, of COURSE! 4691(B) or 4628(B)

You can find them for under $400 the pair, now, sometimes low as $200.

Condition: Nastified.

Dead 4691(B)'s are fine, too, as replacement drivers are plentiful.

Folks'll think you the party MOGUL!

See here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...9670#post39670

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Cabaret, of COURSE! 4691(B) or 4628(B)

You can find them for under $400 the pair, now, sometimes low as $200.

Condition: Nastified.

Dead 4691(B)'s are fine, too, as replacement drivers are plentiful.

Folks'll think you the party MOGUL!
    Yup, always have good things to say about the Cabaret series. 4691's may be the best value out there for professional use if you want JBL's for the backyard bashes. They weigh a ton, however. 'Bout 107 lbs. a box.

Thread Information