Thread: Power handeling capability of L-100's

Obsolete
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by bob newton
    Ohhhh! so thats a 4311B !! Looks exactly like my 4311 H's
    K

bob newton
    Most interesting info you sent!! Many thanks for enlightening me. Respectfully

With a 110 watt receiver or integrated amp, you stand a much greater chance of damaging the damn thing by not having a big enough amp. Outdoors you are very likely to crank the amp past clipping and then there will be hell to pay. You will most likely blow a tweeter. If you try to compensate for lack of bass (which there most certainly will be outside) you will clip the amp sooner.

Most all vintage receivers and integrateds reach full power with a standard level source (tuner, CD, tape) at the 12:00 to the 1:00 position. The rest of the preamp gain is there for sources with lower than standard input voltages.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Most all vintage receivers and integrateds reach full power with a standard level source (tuner, CD, tape) at the 12:00 to the 1:00 position.
    Yeah.

bob newton
    Oh WOW, So thats why I been blowing the tweets and mids in the -100's? Never had a prob with the woofers though. YIKES , I feel so silly, I need to be tought how play the damm things too? You guys are correct, as usuall! I see da light now!

I used to run L100's with a Dynaco ST-400. I could get my fillings rattling before I could damage them. As long as you don't do anything stupid like the loundness switch on, the treble turned up and the volume at 11 they should be fine.

Rob

bob newton
    Whats an ST-400 put out? No loudness switch on but, full treble and full bass and full volumn and my hearing aid up full!! Cant help it the JBL's sound so good! Won't do that no more.

A conseratively rated 200 watts RMS with clean 350 watt peaks almost 3db headroom at 1k where they drove it to clipping when they did the test. Full bass, full treble and full tilt!!!! Christ man your a shoe in. Going on our yearly Winter Weekend at Okemo Vermont. You sound like my friend Billy. We have to watch that boy around the stereo. Every year 3AM last guy standing stereo screeming there's Billy doing a drunken air guitar OR better yet playing drums with ping pong paddles on top of the speakers! My L3 still have dents from a year ago. Can't wait!!

Rob

bob newton

You sound like my friend Billy

Yeah, Billy and I would probably get along fine. No more though, the drivers are too expensive to replace. What do you think of the Sansui 9090?

I have never heard one. They look great though have a good reputation!! Had an old Sansui 2000x as my first real reciever, had a Pioneer SX1010 for a while too. Ended up with seperates a Phase Linear 4000 preamp driving the Dynaco. I like those vintage recievers. They don't make them like that anymore. To bad

Rob

bob newton
    I always thought that my 9090 was vintage. I thought it was top of the line short of a Mac. I bought my first on in 73 for about $800.00 That was a lot o mula then. I have 4 of them now. Why? I dono Hope you have a blast in VT. I have a place in Newbury NH. Not far from Vt

"I always thought that my 9090 was vintage."

It is and a damn nice one???? You have 4 NICE!!! New Hampshire is a Great place too. Go up to Fraconia Notch when I can and the drive the Cakamankus through the President Range past Mt. Washington back down to Winepasaki. Used to stay at a place off Squam Lake.

Rob

bob newton
    I am on Lake Sunapee. But My home is in RI. born and raised here. Used to date a gal in Long Island

Where on the Island??

Rob

Thread Information