Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paragon?

Alex Lancaster

Smile

From the 1980 brochure: "constructed of 7-ply 16mm (5/8 in) plywood"; The flares were HDF, hand bent into grooves, I do not remember if they steamed them to bend them.

The "BK" was "utility black", There were earlier gray ones, the "A" was a design or construction mod.

Alex.

According to member subwoof, in an email a few years ago, if anything the 4560 knockoffs tended to be better built than the originals. Mine were in pretty good shape when I got them, then I have put some considerable abuse on them when hauling about, but they are still quite sturdy. The 4560 is one of the best illustrations of the function/effect/role of the cabinet on a driver, that I know of. Take a 2226, put it in and listen to two or three other designs, both horn loaded and DR, and then in a 4560, and you'll appreciate the drastic impact the enclosure has. They still reproduce drums and drum kicks, and much bass guitar, about as well as anything. Great impact. Put a horn loaded sub with them for a nice system. The way a 4560 effortlessly fills a large room or outdoor area is really neat.
    MBB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thevott
    Excellent "portable" speaker. High efficiency and nice directivity. Perfect for any small show, indoors or out! Looks alot like an A7 too, doesn't it?

JBL Dog
    I'll always have a place in my heart for a JBL 4560. The wifey has been on me to get rid of them.

Just recently I was bidding on a nice pair of 2205A's to possibly rebuild the 4560's, but came up short at the end of bidding.

I'll probably end up selling them. I'm very depressed at the thought, but I need to face reality.

I think I need a hug and shoulder to cry on......

This message comes from JBL Dog

Well, the weight made them not that portable, which is what killed that eras designs for live sound.That is why the band that owned mine, when they were stock 4663A's, sold them to me in 1994 for $250 the pair. And why I added wheels. I hope I'm not stupid enough to ever part with them. JBL literature stated that they were for long throw applications, beyond 80 feet! Couple two or more for unreal efficiency! Some friends who live about 1.5 miles from me heard my pair during a party at my house with a live trio one night. Probably averaging well under 10 watts continuous.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL Dog
    mikebake:

Yup, you can throw sound a long way with a 4560 if there aren't any obstructions. Hearing them well over a mile away doesn't surprise me. That's the reason I used them as "mains" in a 40 lane bowling center.

thevott
    $250. what a deal! Yes, smaller and less efficient direct radiating systems (along with bigger amplifiers) replaced the larger and less portable horn systems. Unfortunately they lost transient response and directivity as well. Horns don't just disperse sound in the direction that you want it to go, they likewise don't spill it everywhere you don't want it to go, thus controlling reverberation in the room. The 4560's are a must for any large (or long), live sounding room (perhaps a bowing ally for instance).
    thevott

Charley Rummel

Ah, yes. The bygone days of hauling the big ones around...

The chiropractors I've seen in recent years owe a debt of gratitude to the designers of those mighty cabs, like the Altec A7, Ampeg svt 8x10, Dual Showman 2X15, JBL 45xx, Sun scoop bass bottom (a 4520 in disguise), and the list goes on; some had wheels, some didn't.

There were times when they had to go up and down stairs; lifted on and off of a truck w/o a ramp or lift; stacked on each other; lifted onto and removed from platforms or scaffolds, etc., and under some extreem conditions.

Any stories to share?

Regards,
    Charley

JBL Dog
    Stories?

Where do I start!

I hauled around my 4560's for about 8 years. I have heavier cabinets, but not as bulky as a 4560. The cabinet that really did some damage to my lower back was an Altec VOTT (guessing an A-7). About ten years ago, I had to haul the VOTT's up a flight of stairs (solo) for an assembly at a local high school. I was at the "chiro" later that day on his traction table.

I've had a roadie for the last seven years. I'm gettin' too old for that s##t!

Stories? I've heard a few! And had a few. Usually I am loading them by myself, so I've become a minor expert at moving heavy, bulky items singlehandedly.
    For awhile, I was sliding them one at a time up a wooden plank. I fell off the plank and racked my ankle royally; had to crawl to the phone for help.
    Nearly put my back permanently out of commission one summer, picked them up off a stage during a thunderstorm; bad move.

Generally now I just wheel em up to the truck and tip/slide em in.
    Puts some wear on em, but whatever.

Moving the quad boxes in the photo was fun; I ended up running a web strap aorund them, hooked to a hand cart, grab box at the side opposite of handcart and lift and balance, work my way back around to handcart, and wheel em away. Gotta watch when you set em, down, they can nearly launch you from the handcart.

Some of the worst I've seen were the EV Manifold bass units; UUGGGHHHHH. We had to use a forklift. I've tried looking up what these things weigh, haven't found it yet.............maybe 400-450?

JBL Dog

another "nut-buster"

The first JBL 15" I ever owned was a 2205A in DYI enclosure that had a cabinet volume of about 8 cubic feet. It was made out of 1" particle board. Used that for about 10 years. Any guesses what that weighed?

Last edited by JBL Dog; 10-09-2003 at 03:45 PM.

thevott
    My back hurts just thinking about it! One really gains an appreciation for plywood.

Thread Information