Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paragon?

Pat Poulson

Paragon?

I am in the process of settling my late father's estate and am trying to determine the model and value of the attached JBL system. Until we are able to move it from its semi built-in enclosure we're unable to see the back to determine the model. We're not quite at that point. It resembles the Paragon shown in your wonderful site, but is different. The piece has been in my Dad's home since the early 1960s. The cabinetry is in excellent condition, and of course, the sound is superb. I've been an JBL devotee all my life and continue to treasure the pair of 4311B Control Monitors I have in my own home. Any information you can share will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Pat Poulson
    602-254-5574
    Phoenix, AZ

Pictures would help if you could post them. The fact that it looks different could mean that it was home built or possibly it is a Metregon shown below that is often confused with the Paragon

Value depends on whether it is a factory unit or home built. There were also two main versions of the Paragon that differred in the woofers used. The older is considerably more valuable. As a starting point, later factory Paragons seem to be going for around $7,000 these days.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

I just checked my email and saw that you sent me a photo of your system. I have attached it here and it is definitely a Metregon, the smaller brother of the Paragon. Value depends on the components used. You should remove the back of the unit and note the model numbers of the drivers. Metregons tend to go for around the $3,000 range of late.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

"Bingo"

Don, you are simply the "king". Nice call...

ps: I have a nearly identical "Le Coutre" clock from my dad's estate, in a quasi similar setting. Good stuff just goes together...
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-11-2003 at 08:28 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Pat Poulson
    Thanks so much. The "Metregon" resides in another city and I won't have an opportunity to check out the serial numbers for a couple of weeks. I'll report back and perhaps you can provide additional information. Again, your help is appreciated.

JBL Dog

My C45 Metregon

Well, it actually belongs to my wife.

This message come from JBL Dog

Well, it actually belongs to my wife.
    At least she's got good taste - er, that is, she works JBL cabinets into the decor, rather than out the door...

I wasn't aware my wifey had a sister!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

JBL Dog

She doesn't like all my JBL cab's

She wants to kick the 4343's to the curb. She says I can keep the L220's. They sound good, but they aren't 4343's. I have a super nice set of 4560 clones that sound incredible! Those would be at the curb if she could move them!

Let's see.... the L100t's are in storage because she rearranged the living room and they no longer practical.

"If you'd buy me a bigger house, you could keep all your toys!"

This message comes from JBL Dog

Pat Poulson
    Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    I just checked my email and saw that you sent me a photo of your system. I have attached it here and it is definitely a Metregon, the smaller brother of the Paragon. Value depends on the components used. You should remove the back of the unit and note the model numbers of the drivers. Metregons tend to go for around the $3,000 range of late.

Dog;
    What is in your 4560 clones?

JBL Dog
    mikebake:

The 4560 clones are unloaded right now. It's been about 8 years since I've used tham. The components I had in them were E140's, 2426J/2370's and 2405's (a modified 4663). I used a homemade 3-way crossover (1200hz, 8000hz). It is my understanding a company in Chicago made them. They used a very high quality plywood instead of partical board.

My entertainment used to do "rock 'n bowl" shows at bowling centers. I would use the 4560's and a set of 4628B Cabaret's to fill up a 40 lane bowling center.

Cool. Those are good boxes. The original JBL cab was plywood, too. not particle board.

JBL Dog
    mikebake:

The "BKA" series of the 4560 was particle board, correct??

No, "high quality, void free plywood"
    They were designed to be portable, thus the plywood.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/L...nclosures1.pdf

JBL Dog

I stand corrected!

I always was under the impression they were particle board. I've never seen a 4560 cabinet up-close, only clones.

Thread Information