Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions

miatagreg

Question suggestions

I have a pair of Olympus 8SR's that I will be using for both music and as the front L/R speakers for my home theater.Any Ideas on what to use for a center channel?

Paragon would be good. You could run it mono.

Urei 813? A coax monitor would seem to be a good plan...

Regards,
    Gordon.

miatagreg
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagreg
    I have a pair of Olympus 8SR's that I will be using for both music and as the front L/R speakers for my home theater.Any Ideas on what to use for a center channel?
    Yes a paragon would be nice Zilch, but it would be totally impractical and way out of my budget.Do you have any idea of how much a Paragon sells for these days?

thanks anyway

It's gonna be hard to match the sonic character of S8 without building something. LE15, 375, 075. I'm SURE we can come up with something MTM for a center here....

Quote Originally Posted by miatagreg
    Yes a paragon would be nice Zilch, but it would be totally impractical and way out of my budget.Do you have any idea of how much a Paragon sells for these days?
    OK, so what are the practical parameters? How about an 075 stacked over a 375/2440 on a 2311 with 2308, flanked by a pair of 2202's?

David

miatagreg

Question

the primary consideration is size. So......

How about an mtm using 2 LE8T's and an 075(or an LE20)?

OR

an LE 12 with an O75 or LE20 stacked (or possibly a 175)

OR

an LE12C??

I want to timbre match as closely as possible without jeopardizing the favorable WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor) of those two large C-50's that I currently enjoy and without breaking the bank . Anything that I do will be a big improvement over the current center channel.

All the units you mention are Alnico. Is that a personal preference? Or are you using a CRT TV?

David

miatagreg
    I do have a CRT TV.I want to timbre match with the 8SR's fo I figure that these would be a good place to start

Steve Gonzales

My 2 cents

I would have traditional horizontal enclosure loaded with 2 K110's, 1 LE85 or some other medium sized comp driver mated to a 2370 and a 077 or a 2405. crossed over at 800-1k and 7k. The 110's on the outside, the LE85 inthe middle with the 077 on top of it. Or if you used the H91/L91 combo and crossed them over at 1200hz you could have something that matched

See center channel here for conceptual format:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3774

Build with alnico drivers, mount above CRT angled down.

TimG has some 2380A horns for sale....

LE8T's are all pretty old and are no longer reconable. Most of them have probably been or need to be refoamed and therefore will very likely not perform according to original specification. The LE10A frame is fairly common and would be a better choice I think; refoaming these is also a problem, but I think the LE10H cone kit can be made to work in the Alnico frame (I must defer to others for affirmation of this). Maybe Earl K will check in with comments about a pair of these with the aforementioned LE85 on a 2307 with a super tweeter added.

This would be fairly inexpensive but would not truly be a dynamic match with your big speakers. I think the center channel in an HT setup carries a goodly share of the load; it should truly be able to run with your main speakers.

For that my original suggestion is still viable, I think, although the Alnico 2202 is a rare bird. That setup would come in under a grand. I believe there are other alnico frames that could take the 2202 kit (K120, 2130, D131 I THINK). That or something very much like it would be a good match and would be most satisfying in the long run.

If you really want to go low dollar find a singleton L100. The early ones are all Alnico or have an Alnico woofer and midrange with a ferrite LE25 tweeter. You might be able to substitute an LE20 in its place. It would surely beat out what you are contemplating with LE8's and LE20's. If you didn't like it you could pass it on and it wouldn't have cost you anything, or very little, to try it. A single L77 would be another possibility.

David

I would say voicing is key. The mini-woofer/tweeter/mini-woofer that most centers use is to control the dispersion... If you use a 10"-12" woofer that can go to 80Hz, a 375(2240) and HL93 (2308/2311) and either 075 (2402) or 077 (2405) you won't have to worry about dispersion, and if they are all vintage alnico, no worries about stray magnetic fields.

You should be able to put the system together in a 2 cu ft box, say an old L-100 if you aren't a constructor or the box of your choice if you are so inclined. If you choose the right woofer it should sound quite a bit like your S8Rs. I think I would go with the LE10. You will need to really pad down the two horns, but it should really sing.

Alternatively a single 4310 or early L-100 as Speakerdave suggests would be an easy fit.

Widget

Correct me if I am wrong ,but the centre channel is mostly for the dialog of a movie track? If so would you not want something that is designed for speech reproduction.

Yes there is a lot of dialog coming from the center channel, but as an actor moves across the screen sometimes the voice is panned from one speaker to another. For best effect you want all three primary speakers to be identical, or at least very similar. In real theaters they typically have five identical speakers behind the screen... their screens are bigger.

On top of that, the 375 and HL93 are superb at dialog.

Widget

Thread Information