Thread: Experience or opinion on JBL 2451 driver

scorpio

Experience or opinion on JBL 2451 driver

Hi all, I know that this is not exactly vintage, but would appreciate constructive opinion nevertheless... Does anyone here have experience of using the 2451 driver? I am told that this is the best current available JBL and could potentially be used in a 2 ways system - yet the response graphs on the specs suggests that this is a little far off, the linear response area being more limited. Any opinion as to the validity of spending that much more money on 2451 vs something like 2445/2402 combo would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with that driver, but my experience with other drivers including the JBL 435Be and a couple of TADs all three with Beryllium diaphragms and all three considered to be candidates for a successful two-way lead me to believe that you will likely still want to add a tweeter.

Let me suggest the 2441 and 2405. I have mentioned them a few thousand times and it is a really nice sounding combo, that said I would add that the horn you use will affect the sound as much as the driver you choose so an audition prior to purchase is always a good idea.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio
    I know that this is not exactly vintage, but would appreciate constructive opinion nevertheless... Does anyone here have experience of using the 2451 driver [in two-way]?
    Forum member sebackman has tried exactly that. Use Advanced Search to find the threads he has posted about 2451 in his own application. For example,

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman
    The sound is very neutral as can be expected with a flat curve. I do find the 2451/2332 combination being very revealing and detailed. Among the best I have heard to date.

The tweeter makes a big difference. It’s a bit funny because the measurements is not that different when comparing only driver with driver/tweeter below 18k. But the combinations do sound very different. The three-way setup is much more pleasing to listen to. The music is more present in the room. -Don’t really understand why. The measures rather similar and the XO is above 10k when using three-way setup.
    Note that his center remains MTM two-way with 2451, tho:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3774

Lots of members are working in quest of successful two-ways. It's not just the driver, but also the horn, EQ, and crossover. As sebackman points out, even if it looks good in tests, the proof is in the listening. Always have a couple of UHF drivers as backup.

Join in a two-way fray here, if you like:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3838

Always have a couple of UHF drivers as backup.
    - Great advice ! Zilch . Well put .

- I also like your reference to the experiences of "sebackman" .

- Oh,,, & yes I concur with Mr. Widgets' recommendations .

scorpio
    Thanks for your advice. I understand that each element of the chain has an impact, hence the difficulty in providing hard and fast advice, I am mostly trying to find the most sensible upgrade path from my current 1" 2-ways to something with a little more fill in the low medium and satisfactory high.

The guy I deal with suggested a few options besides the 2451, mostly a 2445 with Ti diaphragm combined with 2402, or a 2445 with Al diaphragm (from 2440) combined with a 2405, the last one being the best of the two but also the most expensive. I'll probably go for a 2441 or 2445 solution to start with as I built my horns with the option to use them with 1 or 2" drivers but not 1.5", I would have to build a new adapter for that. Too many options, oh dear....

Thread Information