Thread: L220's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L220's

About 6 months ago I pulled a set of speakers from the curb. after a brief inspection I determined these big monsters were JBL brand speakers in need of 4 surrounds. I wheeled them into my garage and hooked them up to my Marrantz 2270. Frankly, I wasn't impressed! Next, in their place I hooked up Bose 201's, much better sound now. After a brief Ebay search, I found they had value. Therefore I listed them. Immediately I knew something was up, apparent by the number of hits and watchers these L220's received. Instanly I began receiving emails with offers ranging from $150 - $800 to stop the auction. Naturally I refused. At this point it was very exciting to think that something I pulled off the curb would bring such a nice profit. My reserve of $650 was almost met when another questionable email came telling me to stop the auction. But this one was very different. This guy was asking to stop the auction because in his opinion these L220's were the best speakers a working man could possibly posses without spending thousands and thousands of dollars. Furthermore, he was willing to teach me how to build a system to drive these bad boys. At this point I still had my doubts. Time was running out (reserve almost met) I stopped the auction to do more research. After contacting my local JBL dealer and pricing driver repairs I was extremely disappointed to find they needed $150 or more per driver to recone (ouch). After more phone calls and disappointments I decided to tackle the job myself. What a learning experience, I got pretty good at replacing these surrounds. Much patience needed (see pics). I got many compliments on my patented shimless voice coil alignment technique and factory looking back glue method. Now the big day, back to the 70 watt Marrantz 2270. Although my voice coils alignment was flawless, no rubs no scratches I wasn't impressed! So again I emailed my new FRIEND from Bakersfield, CA. He indicated it's time to buy a Yamaha brand amplifier. Soon my MX1000u arrived ($455 Ebay). WOW, NOW I AM A BELIEVER! My quality of life just stepped up a couple of notches. THIS BABY ROCKS!!!! My friends are jealous and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Let's face it, I would have tried to make a buck$ like all the other email offers I had, but one UNIQUE, UNSELFISH, AWESOME, GUY KEPT ME FROM MAKING ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES OF MY LIFE!

THANKS TO MY NEW FRIEND.....STEVE GONZALES! (meep meep)

For those of you have made it to the end of my thread thanks for listening.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information