I would like to upgrade a pair of L-88P speakers on the cheap but still use JBL components, probably getting them from ebay. The odds of find two new or like new M12 upgrade kits is probably one in a million. I have several questions. 1. If I can't afford LE2-2 alnico mids, what are the REAL differences among all the ferrite magnet versions; LE2-3 to LE2-12 and the model 104 used in the L100T? They all basically look the came. 2. regarding the crossover, if I removed the entire existing xover and replaced it with an L-100 xover off ebay, would the performance be acceptable? 3. The L-88P has a hidden midrange level control hole under the silver label. I assume it would almost impossible to get a new pair of L-88PM12 or L-100 adhesive backed foil nameplates. Would someone with a pair of L-100s be kind enough to measure the center to center distance between the two screwdriver adjustment knobs? If the spacing is the same as the L-100, I will just take a sharp Xacto knife and cut the circular hole in the aluminum plate for the mid control to be visible. Also, does someone know the difference between the L-88P and L-88P Version A? I know the front grille got changed along the way so the second version has basically the same cabinet and grille as the L-100. Were there any driver changes; ie, alnico to ferrite for the woofer, etc?
Thanks,
John Lovda