Thread: Jbl Le15 Blue Series

kalkan0

Jbl Le15 Blue Series

Hello,
    I expect to buy two LE15A BLUE SERIE , the salesman tell me that the blue series is a series edition special with more dynamics and more rapid better magnets, and better measurements. the membrane is yellow, the first was rigid, the second was more flexible. the 15A is best the 38 from JBL and the 38 which descend it + low from all the marks ,
    What is thrue ? is it a good deal? The price is 730 $.
    Thanks
    Maurice

I think you are being sold a bill of goods. As far as I know the only difference is the paint. They were blue for a year or 2??? but that's it. As far as the best 38cm?? that is very argueable. It was maybe the best for it's time but not now. A 2235 will out perform it in all relevent areas for a lot less than his asking price.

Let see what the other guys thinks. Hey Oldmics??

Rob

The Blue color was used for a couple of years in the early 60's. They are no different than any other LE15A. The Blue ones are pretty and because they are rare have a slight additional value to collectors. They are in no way sonically superior to the later alnico LE15As or 2215Bs (the Professional Series number for the same woofer). As for the yellow surround that was a very pliable foam when new. When they stiffen they loose all of the bass. The free air resonance can shift from the specified 20Hz to 75Hz or higher.

If you are buying these woofers for their sonic value you should pass on these as they are too expensive. You should buy some other LE15As (possibly blown) and have the magnets recharged and put in new JBL recone kits. That way you will have perfect LE15As and for less money.

The LE15A was JBLs most advanced woofer in the 60s and is still a very good woofer. The 2235H will give you deeper bass, but it has a different sound quality and some prefer the LE15A. The current 1500AL is it's descendant. It is probably the most sophisticated woofer currently in production. It has exquisite bass and mid bass qualities, though at a slight sacrifice at the lowest octave.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by kalkan0
    The membrane is yellow, the first was rigid, the second was more flexible. The price is 730 $.
    The "membrane" being the surround at the edge of the cone? It is yellow and rigid because it is old, and will have to be replaced.

He views your wallet by the light of his blazing pantalon....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    The "membrane" being the surround at the edge of the cone? It is yellow and rigid because it is old, and will have to be replaced.

He views your wallet by the light of his blazing pantalon....

Hihi, membrane = cone, error from kalkanO ??

JBL Dog

LE15 blue baskets

I've been meaning to post pictures of my LE15 drivers for some time. These are currently in the Metregon you see in my avatar. Not sure how long JBL marketed these before they went to the "A" series. These came out of another Metregon I bought a few years ago. I also included the blue LE85's that were matched with the LE15's. I would guess all these drivers were manufactured in the very early 1960's. The cone is original. I did have new surrounds installed. The original lansaloy surrounds were so stiff there was no movement in the cone at all. Sure, it makes them worth less to collectors, but they sound a helluva lot better .

Looks like someone at JBL was a little sloppy installing the dustcap.

This message comes from JBL Dog

JBL Dog
    Here is a picture of the inside of the cramped quarters of a Metregon installed with a 3-way system. I'm using 2440's instead of 375's. Couldn't justify the extra coin for 375's.

I thought about your LE15s when I made my post but decided that along with all of the 8 ohm/16 ohm confusion the LE15 was just one more item that would muddy the waters.

Besides, I have only seen one other LE15 before hearing about yours and I have never seen any published info on them... The LE15 is genuine rarity.

Widget

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I thought about your LE15s when I made my post but decided that along with all of the 8 ohm/16 ohm confusion the LE15 was just one more item that would muddy the waters.

Besides, I have only seen one other LE15 before hearing about yours and I have never seen any published info on them... The LE15 is genuine rarity.

Widget
    Widget:

I haven't been able to find any info on them either, which makes me wonder if there is any difference between the original LE15's and the LE15A's. Considering JBL, back in those days, used the "A" tag on 16 ohm drivers and "B" on 32 ohm drivers in the 130 series, they may have added the "A" after an initial run of the LE15 drivers with possible future plans of issuing a 32 ohm "B" version of the LE15 to incorporate in dual 15" systems. I know, my mind tends to wander at this time of night!

I've seen one set of LE15's on Ebay, the rest have been "A" series. So, yes, they are very rare.

Maron Horonzakz
    Paint color on the JBL woofers do not increase its value. I seen them painted grey, black, blue, orange. & purple for those ordered for Bob Heil,s installations. The early le 15 had white surrounds that turned yellow as they aged eventually growing stiff & hard compliance suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The Blue color was used for a couple of years in the early 60's. Widget
    Small bit of input re age of blue Le15a's. I don't believe 'early' 60's is correct. I bought my very first Le15a that was blue in colour brand new in Vancouver in 1967 or 1968. the store was reputable, and did not stock the drivers. so, I think they were likely made for a couple of years in the latter part of the 60's.

Those were most likely NOS.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Those were most likely NOS.
    Either that or JBL manufactured them for longer than we all think. The S72 system (LE15, LE85 and LX5) pulled from the Metregon cabinet were all blue painted components. Since the 1962 catalog on this site included the LE15A (not the LE15), blue painted components went back to at least the early 1960's. Also, if you look at the pics I posted, the ID tags on the LE85's were very thin decals that were used in the late 50's and early 60's. The more durable foilcals came out later and were a gold color for the LE85's.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    Either that or JBL manufactured them for longer than we all think.
    I just cruised the Library. In the 1966 catalog the photo does appear to still be dark blue, but by '67 it is definitely the light gray. Of course this isn't definitive as we know JBL sometimes reuses older photos. It certainly shows that by the '67 catalog they were painting them the light gray color. They were light gray in the early '70s too and then were black at the end of the '70s.

Widget

Thread Information