Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That's not fair!

Obsolete

That's not fair!

"A health company called Weyco Inc. in the US state of Michigan fired four employees who did not want to take a smoking test.

Apparently, the firm announced on January 1st that anyone who smokes, even outside of the company after work hours, will be terminated.

The founder of Weyco, Howard Weyers, said the decision was made because they didn't want to pay extra health care expenses related to smoking.

18-20 of the 200 employees at the company smoke cigarettes. 14 quit smoking following the decision and one employee quit before the new policy was implemented. Weyco says it is helping its employees who want to quit smoking."

What about all the employees that are subjected to second-hand smoke? Shouldn't they get fired too?

I hope they take them to court. Same as a drug user with no rehab. What's next???

Better watch those donuts!!

Rob

Obsolete
    Oh No! Not the donuts!

Well, you what they say about smokers : " They are a dying breed, soon to be extinct." Ya, I know, nothin' worse than a reformed smoker. Clean lungs for 4 years now. No I don't drink either and I am not over weight, so don't try those on me ! And my wife loves stereo equipment. Ok, I went too far there.. That policy is still . Smoker or not.
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Maron Horonzakz
    I,de fire any body in my company who have Boze.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper
    That policy is still . Smoker or not.
    Yeah, what's next?

"they didn't want to pay extra health care expenses related to pregnancy"

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    Ya, I don't like Boze either. They sound terrible
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Glad I am my Own Boss

Yes gentlemen-they will take our civil liberties away.

I hear that employers are soon to require only Bose systems be listened to and if you have a JBL system TERMINATION will be immedient!!!!!!

Banks ,insurance companys and health care-All in collusion to keep the little people just that.

Yeah,I got a problem with it.

Oldmics

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes but look at the bright side. More jobs as the companys hire,s more tattle tale spies.

They should have at least been given the option to pay out of pocket for the increased insurance premium. Stop or pay the difference is a lot better than See Yah! Unemployment sucks!!

Rob

paragon

Whats going on ?

Don`t drink, don`t smoke, don`t eat (junk food), don`t ....
    Yust work and die early !! That`s live !
    Where is the fun ? (exept JBL)

Eckhard

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette

It is my understanding that West Marine, the marine supply company, also has a 24/7 no smoking policy. The difference is that they've had it since the start of the company and any applicants/new hires are told that it is a condition of employment.

You would think that the Weyco Co. would have done it's legal homework beforehand. But to implement a no smoking policy, without offering current employees a smoking cessation program, doesn't sound like it would stand up in court. And if it does stand up in court, that scares the hell out of me because as Giskard and Robb say "what's next?": Without exaggerating at all, you could see an employer saying: No overweight employees. No alchohol, even off the job. No one with high blood pressure or high cholestrol. No one who doesn't exercise.

I'm going to go excercise my civil liberties by having a cigarette, a Starbucks and a Krispy Kreme.
    Last edited by porschedpm; 01-26-2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add to

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    I hear that employers are soon to require only Bose systems be listened to and if you have a JBL system TERMINATION will be immedient!!!!!!
    That reminds me of a place I used to work. They had real offices with real walls instead of cubicles and we could bring pretty much anything into work with us. One of my co-workers brought these in and they were allowed to stay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm
    Without exaggerating at all, you could see an employer saying: No overweight employees. No alchohol, even off the job. No one with high blood pressure or high cholestrol. No one who doesn't exercise.
    Oh I don't think it's a stretch to imagine insurance companies getting to the point where they dictate pretty much every facet of life. They'll put the screws to everything.

Maron Horonzakz
    Yeh but the boss hooked his BOSE radio to the Klipsch Bells.

Thread Information