Niklas Nord

If you had unlimited amount of money

Lets play around with this....

If you had unlimited amunt of money to buy
    loudspeaker drivers...

What would you buy and build.

What kind of design and so on...

Tom Loizeaux
    For practical use in my home, I think I'd get a pair of JBL K2 S9800s and a pair of Mark Levinsons to bi-amp them. I might add a subwoofer if I felt a need for gut-wrenching low end, (which I probably would).
    Yeah, I'd just keep it simple and go "plug & play".

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 07-08-2003 at 05:31 PM.

Niklas Nord
    You can only buy loudspeaker drivers, not complete
    loudspeakers, BUT i donīt blame you, i think you
    picked up a great loudspeaker

Hmmm

Well I think I would give large format compression drivers a whirl. I really like the Classic Reproductions Hartsfield and Edgars Tractric Salad Bowls on his Titans. Not sure which horn I would use just try them all. No budjet I like this! For woofers I would use either 2245 or 2235 then E-145 for the low end. Midrange figure the 2441 and an 076 on top of that. Now this is fun!

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 07-08-2003 at 06:39 PM.

Tom Loizeaux
    If I had to stick to buying raw componants, ... then I think I'd build a pair of 4355s, but configure them as vertical cabinets. I agree that the 2" compression drivers have always had me curious too. Of course I would bi-amp, or maybe tri-amp them with quality amps, ie Mark Levinson, etc.
    With four 2235Hs and those other drivers, I think I'd have "Super 4343s"...and I don't think it gets any better then that!

Tom

dreams

Originally posted by Tom Loizeaux
    If I had to stick to buying raw componants, ... then I think I'd build a pair of 4355s, but configure them as vertical cabinets. I agree that the 2" compression drivers have always had me curious too. Of course I would bi-amp, or maybe tri-amp them with quality amps, ie Mark Levinson, etc.
    With four 2235Hs and those other drivers, I think I'd have "Super 4343s"...and I don't think it gets any better then that!

Tom
    tom did you still have mx-4 laying around
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

How about this:

A huge vertical line source array, with the following drivers, PER SIDE:

4 JBL 2242s on subs,

7 JBL 2123 midbass drivers,

10 Polydax PR170M0 midranges (or, if you can find them anymore, the Focal 7V313 instead)

...and the big Stage Accompany horn-loaded ribbon line driver for a tweeter.

As for amps: All Jeff Rowland on bass and midbass, with enough Marantz Model 9 tube monoblocks to appropriately run the mids and highs. With the original vintage Marantz tube active crossovers on mids and highs, and the programmable JBL active crossover from one of their studio monitor series, for midbass and bass...

I mean, like 7 feet tall. With a sensitivity of like, 105 dB or higher, throuhout the range. Talk about realistic reproduction of dynamics!! :-)

What the heck... if you're gonna dream, dream BIG...

Of course, the simple answer, IMHO... to talk heresy here on this board... there's something simply magical about a set of Tannoy Churchill Widebands, or Westminsters... preferably, running on a pair of Marantz Model 9 monoblocks. Yeah, some of the JBL studio monitors may be flatter, or do whatever else better... but MAN, there's something MAGICAL about the coherence of a good dual-concentric. Combine that with the bass section out of like, 4 Vandersteen 5s (the clamshell 12" dual-woofer with the actively response shaped 400 watt amp in the sliced-MDF-CNC-routed randomized-wall-thickness box... nearly perfect transient response and flatness down to 14 Hz in room!)... I'd never leave the room, much less the house!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Tom Loizeaux
    MikeM,
    I am still sorting out my crossover situation and should know in a week or so if I have a "spare" Crown MX-4. I'll let you know.

Tom

W@r&

Talking http://www.audioheritage.org

Gotta say doods,
    When asked, Garlits was asked what he'd do with Bernsteins money, he said he'd buy land...

must agree,

Loud is AFTER the ranch...
    w@r&

Niklas Nord
    HAHAH

I will go for a pair of Westrex T550 speaker mounted with 2 JBL E145 and 475nd driver with a 15 multicell horn and 2 JBL 2403 tweeters biamp with studioreference crown amplifiers . That's a dream that need a big room.
    For the rear, I will also have a pair of Everest.

A+ Stephane
    Regards Stephane

TAD

TAD drivers from top to bottom, with custom built horn loaded cabinets!

Scott TAD!!!! You traitor!!!!!!! LOL

Good point did you see the new speaker they released as the CES looks like a beauty!

Rob

You mean these (they sound as good as they look):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Niklas Nord
    what is that Don ?

Thread Information