Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCA Ubangi

Rca

I had the pleasure to hear it about 30-35 yrs. ago, and got two MI 9594 horns, and MI 9591 horn to driver adaptors. I use one horn on center speaker system with JBL2482, and mounted above that use JBL2345 I think is the number with Altec 902 at 1.5K Hz, and a couple 075's. Don't play it all that loud, but smaller speakers don't please me that much anymore. When I heard RCA systems, 2 in stereo, 60 watts each, was very impressed.

They sound good

I have a pretty mint pair of 9595's with the MI9584 drivers. It's a great sounding horn, rated to 200hz by RCA. Very smooth dispersion, even when listening from not that far away. Definitely better sounding than any JBL horns I Had to compare with. The only thing better sounding (Which I am now using) were 300hz round wood tractrix horns (ala Edgarhorns). The RCA horns are quite nice, very well made, and heavy. Damped with external materials too, which is nice.

-Ed

RacerXtreme

Ubangi

Hey Ed,

how much power can they handle? Do you have a blueprint or know
    anyone with a blueprint of the cabinet? Just out of curiosity, if they were
    for sale, how much would you ask for them? I may keep my eyes open for a pair - or try to build some copies. I have no idea what they're worth.

How long have you owned them? Ever have a chance to compare them to Altec 210 VOTT's ?

Thanks for the info.

Guy

Rca

Hi Ed, You have the 9595 90-degree, mine are MI 9594 60-degree by probably 40-degrees. Mouth 24X12, length from bug screen about 33". Very good for mid range only, tried a driver I know goes well to higher freqs. and those higher freq. don't make it out of horn. I put my head in looking for them, could not find. Used more sophisticated intruments also, then went 3-way, and finally 4-way. I like it, others I'm sure would not.

Hi Guy I have seen those once on ebay a couple of years ago. I cannot remember what they went for,but i would think alot would depend on the distance between seller and buyer. Keep a eye out for closed down movie theatres in small towns and find out what,s inside. You might get them for free just for removing them from the theatre.

RacerXtreme

Blueprints

Where can I find a blueprint for the cabinets?

Guy

packrat

Exclamation RCA Ubangi - u betchya

I actually have access to three of these cabinets without the speakers and two horns without the drivers. Along with 4 MI-9377 amps which are all coming out of a theater in Indiana. I plan on putting them on Ebay for the people renovating the theater to raise some money. Anyone interested?

medwin say he might sell some of his

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...ubangi&session=

icarus53

Exclamation RCA Ubangi - u betchya

Hello, Packrat!

Nice to say hello to you.
    I am really interested in Ubangis and MI9595 horns.
    May I open private discussions with you?
    Please send emails to [email protected] at your earliest convenience.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by icarus53; 08-06-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: wrong address

norealtalent

Exclamation

I just came into 3 ubangie cabs and a pair of A7 votts. One RCA is empty. Two of the RCA's are loaded with a single 31 lb #9449 15" woofer and #9597a crossover complete with coils and both cans and weighing in at 25 lbs EACH complete unit. The woofers are pristine. I haven't been able to find much on these. The cabs had the factory RCA number on them but I did not write down the cabinet number, just pulled the components. I knew better when I left the cabs but didn't want to spend my vacation running around renting and driving a Uhaul home. When I got home I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:EF:US:1
    I've already contacted the man and will be retrieving all the cabs this weekend, if not sooner. ANY information on the RCA's would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

This RCA equipment has historically been shunned by collectors, being regarded as inferior to the Western Electric gear. Now that the supply of W.E. has dried up, there is new interest in RCA and prices have been rising steadily over the past couple of years.

The bass enclosures you described, if similar to but shorter than the MI-9462 and configured for a single 15" woofer, are type MI-9588. They seem to be less commonly encountered than the 9462.

The 9597A crossovers operate (I think) at 250 ohms in and out. They sell well on ebay, and I often wonder if the buyers are aware of their impedance. If you have the round, black cans, these are model MI-9471 impedance matching autoformers. They were used to transform the 250 ohm impedance down to whatever was required for the high and low frequency driver(s) used in a particular system. These are high quality, wide band autoformers and can be used for level matching by do it yourselfers as well as impedance matching. I am using a pair of these to pad down the midrange/high frequency drivers in my home system. They have been selling on ebay lately for at least $100 each.

The MI-9449 woofers are very fine horn drivers, similar in concept to the earlier Altec 515 woofers. These often suffer from failure of the outer hinge on the cone, but are worth quite a bit if the original cones are in good condition. Be careful with these, as the cones are thin and fragile, and no suitable replacement is available as far as I know.

I was surprised at the selling price of the MI-9462. Until recently it was difficult to give these away due to their size and weight, although there has always been a cult of enthusiasm for the robust performance of these boxes.

norealtalent
    Thank you Steve!!! Gonzo told me to pm you but I didn't want to be a pain. I added a couple of pics. The cones show NO sign of stress cracks whatsoever. These things are absolutely beautiful. One basket has a little scratched spot, otherwise they are as close to new as when installed. I can't wait to hear them in their cabs! I hated leaving them but didn't want to push the wife factor any further than necessary. Thanks again. I'll post an update when I know more.
    Harmonies, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images   

norealtalent
    You nailed it Steve, MI -9588's. Thanks for your help, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

rca ubangi

I am looking for the RCA Ubangi. Any one interst in selling?

16hz lover
    Quote Originally Posted by newbaymiao View Post
    I am looking for the RCA Ubangi. Any one interst in selling?
    I have one for sale, but I'm on the other side of the world from you. It is loaded with 2 JBL 2226 drivers in it. I guess shipping from North Carolina to Hong Kong would scare you away unless you REALLY wanted one.

Thread Information