Thread: Center Channel 4425, 4412, 4410?

ooppalla

Center Channel 4425, 4412, 4410?

Thanks to forum members I am a very happy camper with my 4425s sitting on Citation 7.4 subs (LE14h-1s). I am looking for center channel. Lost out on a 4425 earlier today and looking at 4412 or 4410. Anyone input is welcome.
    Thank you
    Don

If you are running compresion driver left and right I would do the center the same. Have you tried an all cone center or run an all cone against the 4425?? I tried a Jubal and was never happy. Ended up with a Urei clone as a center. I thought the uppers mids just didn't have the bight you get from the horns. You have to decide for yourself. Just keep in mind the mix is greater than 50% center channel for movies. For multichannel SACD/DTS 24/96 the center often has the primary vocals so don't skimp. Another 4425 would be the "ideal" way to go. One of the Urie 809's would work too but you would have to watch the horn heights. There is a big change in directivity with the Urei horns and 2344/2342's. Other than that the are basically the same drivers.

Rob

You know enough now to build your own 4425 MTM center channel. Wavelength at 1200 Hz is 11.3 inches. Center distance on the woofs would be twice that. It'll work.

[Finding a pair of 2214 G's or J's gonna be kinda tough, though....]

['Course, you COULD bi-amp using 2214H's, or modify the crossover for 4 Ohms]

[Hafta rotate the horn 90°, probably]

[Never mind....]

ooppalla
    Great input. The bilaterial horn is something hard to match. I love the transients of compression drivers and owned a pair of Klipsk (sp?) La Scallas for years. I am guessing that an LSR wouldn't work for the center for the same reason? I'll look into the 809. I am running a 5.1. What do you think of the 4410s for rears? I am running Altec Lansing 83s from Costco (6-10 years old) that are limited, but are not too bad.

More ideas:

4425's 2416H compression driver will screw right onto the back of an inexpensive OASR horn, probably:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3774

"What do you think of the 4410s for rears? I am running Altec Lansing 83s from Costco (6-10 years old) that are limited, but are not too bad."

I have L20t's as rears basically a 4406. They work fine the 4410's should work even better you could even run them full range. I have had upgrade drivers 2418's 2342's 2118H's to build new rears for a about 6 months but haven't gotten the urge to cut wood. So the L20t's must be doing something right

Rob

ooppalla
    Zilch, thank you for the compliment. But my skills, etc., are rather limited on the manufacturing and engineering side.

I love great sound and beautiful women... But I have not been able to fully understand or fabricate either.

There is a pair of Urei 809s on Ebay. They seem to be in good condition. Is there a difference between the Urei 809 and the 809A? JBL specks
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/jbl-specs.htm
    just list the 809A. What is a good price for a pair? And can you run them upside down as there are mounting holes on these units? Also what is the dispersion of the highs when compared to the 4425s horns, 100 x 100?

Much thanks,
    Don

"Also what is the dispersion of the highs when compared to the 4425s horns, 100 x 100?"

Just so you know there are differences. IMHO it will work but not as well as another 4425. The Urie I have works great with my set-up. I am on axis and the sweet spot is only a couple of seats wide on the coach. Which works fine in my set-up. With another biradial that would open up. The coverage angles are narrow by comparison especially in the vertical axis. The presentation on the horn is different too because of that. They are more a bit more in your face than the biradials. You need to be very close to on axis with the Urei horn not so with the 2342. I have attached part of a Tech Sheet that compares the 2 monitors. You can see the diferences on the sheet.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ooppalla
    I feel like such a dolt.
    Should have asked before the 4425 solo was gone... It had some nasty dents, but the drivers looked great. But I can watch for another 4425.

Thank you very much for the Great input... It is right on target and much appreciated.

Thread Information