Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: rank the 43XX series for me in order of best most accurate sound

It's not as simple as it looks after the 70's. The 4401 and 4411 came out after their consumer counter parts if the catalogs are complete.

The 096 is not a 4313 wrong tweeter.

The LT3 and Lt series vs 4408-4412 uses the same drivers in some but not all cases and is fixed no L-Pads so different networks as a minimum.

The 6332 would be an L100 Century Gold not sure about crossovers or drivers definite frame changes and tweeter.

In the 70's in many cases they were clones after that it gets blurred. Blurred as in an L212 is related to 4315 but not the same.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi John,

Cool. You can always put together a clone of one of the 43Xx systems with some patience and some help.

Below l have outlined the JBL Pro 43XX series along side the Consumer systems with an overall timeline. You have to reason that the kinds of monitors offered later on with the 4200, 4400 and the LSR series were in response to changes in how the broadcast and recording industries evolved over time.

In some of the consumer system literature JBL make comparison to direct monitor counterparts as in a flat response. I have noted this on the document.

* There could be the odd typo as it was a detailed task to go through a number of catalogues and product brochures in the JBL Library.

There is much information in the JBL Library to enjoy and admire from so many contributors.

Don’s product and people profiles also shed a lot of light on developments that drove the business historically. I think JBL were lucky to have Don and Steve Schell write up the history of the business. The people who worked at JBL then were what made it so successful.
    Your chart was very useful to me. I was a JBL dealer only in the 70's and then again in the 2000's so there are many models I am unfamiliar with. But I did own and enjoy a pair of 4430's through out the 80's and early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw retired View Post
    Ian, Thanks for a pretty coherent and comprehensive look back at the 43xx series. I wish I could go back and time and by some of these audio works of art. John
    Edit: In the interest of not appearing totally uneducated, in the second sentence by should be spelled buy.

Hello Ian

Why don't you just reference the LE5 Matrix on the site??? It just repeated content. There is nothing new here.

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...The-LE5-Matrix

Rob

Hi John,

Thanks. I plan to prepare a more elaborate chart on a spreadsheet.

If l get the chance to travel to the USA again it would be fun to catch up with you. There are a few LHS members located near Denver. I recall catching up with John Nebel back in 2004 who as it turns out knows Bo Putnam over in SF. If you do a Google search of the 4345 plans it’s was Bo holding the tape measure across the baffle after l asked him for the dimensions. That was 20 years so. I’ve been back several times to CA. Despite the LAX airport queues l don’t mind LA. The Denver airport is way better.

Smile

Edit: In the interest of not appearing totally uneducated, in the second sentence by should be spelled buy.

No worries.

I will be adding a new table with some particularly relevant data on the 43XX series for users and clone builders.
    This
    The notion that everyone knows or should know specifics about these things is BS. They don’t as witnessed in this thread. The situation on the LHS is quite fragmented as far as locating information. Even then it might not be accurate.

No worries.

I will be adding a new table with some particularly relevant data on the 43XX series for users and clone builders.
    This
    The notion that everyone knows or should know specifics about these things is BS. They don’t as witnessed in this thread. The situation on the LHS is quite fragmented as far as locating information. Even then it might not be accurate.
    Good idea. Perhaps then discussion will winnow out any remaining confusion or errors, if any. Plus it will be convenient!

No worries.

This
    There was so much information that has now been lost.

I wish someone could recover this one that included most of the popular old crossover network schematics.

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post

I wish someone could recover this one that included most of the popular old crossover network schematics.

I have a complete list as does Heather. When Don left the scene he gave me the entire exhibit library and a bit more. I shared this with Heather so there is not as much lost as you think. Probably more people as well have additional info.

We also have complete set of service manual discs JBL and Urei.

If you need a particular schematic put up a post.

You can also do this and query at the JBL Service Document Portal Posted in the Technical Sticky Thread in 2021

Search Discontinued in the drop down menu.

You can download what you select and have the option to download all of them.

I just did all and it worked fine,

https://assets.harman.com/portals/wo...sfp=1135167407

Not all are there but some are.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I have a complete list as does Heather. When Don left the scene he gave me the entire exhibit library and a bit more. I shared this with Heather so there is not as much lost as you think. Probably more people as well have additional info.

We also have complete set of service manual discs JBL and Urei.

If you need a particular schematic put up a post.

You can also do this and query at the JBL Service Document Portal Posted in the Technical Sticky Thread in 2021 Search Discontinued in the drop down menu.

https://assets.harman.com/portals/wo...sfp=1135167407

Not all are there but some are.

Rob
    Thanks. I marked the page. But it does not seem to include the document that I was alluding too.

Thanks. I marked the page. But it does not seem to include the document that I was alluding too.
    I have been updating my post search discontinued.

Rob

I agree.

Smile

Good idea. Perhaps then discussion will winnow out any remaining confusion or errors, if any. Plus it will be convenient!
    Yes it is. The convenience is the key. That’s where l was heading and it could have been moved into a reference thread. But there are personalities, politics, pre conceived ideas that resist change or new ideas and approaches. The organisation then is at war with itself. Without change nothing and l mean nothing survives. Change can be improvements or evolution.

Example
    The there are other charts, product lists but they are not necessarily from a particularly useful perspective or a specific user perspective. More importantly users don’t use them because they either don’t work or they are unaware of them or they don’t answer their specific questions?

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...ch-Sheet-Links

For example there are three iterations of the L65 and each as a different woofer and a different network. But to find that out you have to look in each of the files. Another example is the L200 that causes confusion. In an enquiry thread (thousands of them) the same questions, the same confusion, debates and in some cases disagreements occur because the user doesn’t have convenient access to accurate information.

As it is there are a few stickys, lots of roads with information along the way buried in threads that can only be read sequentially and they don’t link to other relevant aspects of a topic for completeness. So if you’re searching for a complete list of what you need to know it’s very inefficient. Adding insult to injury a new member who is invested in the hobby can’t register to ask questions? How crazy is that? Or they stopped it. Do they (the owners or administrators) care? If they did they would have addressed this a long time ago. Instead they have sat back, passed the blame on Samsung or the fade has passed, or we have what we want now or some other excuse.

This may seem harsh or matter of fact but it is what it is. A smart man doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he moves on. Fortunately other interest groups, forums other websites exist that attempt to meet user needs. These alternatives are alive because people are being helped by other like minded people who want to make it work.

Adding insult to injury a new member who is invested in the hobby can’t register to ask questions? How crazy is that?
    Hey Ian,

Here is an out of the box suggestion. Since this forum is obviously broken and may be irreparable, why don't you start a new JBL or Audio forum? You could post links from here to to get new members, and post links from the new forum to relevant threads or posts here.

You would be doing a lot of people a huge service and you could capture and preserve a lot of this specialized JBL data that is nowhere else. Since you are retired you might have the time required to manage it... and you could certainly get people to help manage the new forum.

Widget

Do they (the owners or administrators) care? If they did they would have addressed this a long time ago. Instead they have sat back, passed the blame on Samsung or the fade has passed, or we have what we want now or some other excuse.
    Hello Ian

Just to add to Widgets post. Do the Admins care???

Lets see the forum has been broken since before I put up the Library Annex back in 2009 when we could no longer add to the Library.

I stopped adding because I saw it as pointless until it was fixed. Never happened. Beyond my control.

So it's been broken say about the last 15 years, since then we have been slowly loosing more and more over time.

I can't even say how much time Widget spent trying to manage new users before he was no longer able to do so. Beyond his control.

And then we have Heather who I think has Admin privileges but won't even show in here profile who is also committed to try and keep things going.

Over that time we have continued to answer questions and provide help when we could and moderate as time permitted trying to work within the limitations and resources we had available.

If we didn't care do you think we would still be here??? If you are frustrated as a user, with no responsibilities beyond that, how do you think we feel???

Rob

Thread Information