Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2214H Build....L100T or 4425 ?

JBL 2214H Build....L100T or 4425 ?

I have all of the components for the L100T but am intrigued by the 2-way 4425 studio monitors which use the same woofer.

Before I build the enclosures and invest in the horns, drivers and crossovers for the 4425, I'm wondering what would be the benefits or drawbacks to either of these models?

I will be using them in a 9x12 dedicated listening room with lower wattage tube and solid state amplifiers at low to moderate listening levels of jazz & classical.

Downsides of the 4425 are similar to many 2-way speakers. You have both the woofer and tweeter (compression driver in this case) stretching to fill the midrange gap. The crossover is 1.2Khz which IMO is pretty high for the 2214H, especially if you're also relying on that 2214H for any substantial amount of bass. That's a pretty low crossover point for a compression driver also. The bookshelf format will require stands or some type of shelf that conveniently places the tweeters at the correct height (approx ear level); this could be a pro or con depending on where you plan to put them. The smaller cabinet will almost certainly result in less bass output compared to the larger L100T cabinet. The "butt-cheeks" horn/waveguide is fairly dated compared to more modern waveguide designs.

I would say that the biggest "pro" of the 4425 is that you won't have to worry about deteriorating foam under the 035Ti that can be an issue with the L100T. Some might also simply prefer the compression driver in the 4425 over the Titanium Dome tweeter in the L100T, but that's subjective. And again, if you are space limited, the bookshelf format can be a good thing.

Downsides of the L100T are potential deterioration of the foam underneath the 035Ti tweeter (can be fixed, but a more difficult and delicate repair compared to a woofer refoam). The 035Ti tweeter can be a bit harsh (made worse if the foam is deteriorating). The L100T is large so you will need some floor space, and you'll need to keep it far enough away from the wall to allow the large rear port room to breathe.

Pros of the L100T are that the floor-standing format in most cases puts the tweeter at a great height for listening if you are sitting on a chair or couch. The dedicated 104H-2 midrange is a fantastic midrange and allows the woofer to be crossed over at only 800Hz (compared to 1200Hz in the 4425). The 3-way format with more driver-appropriate crossover-frequencies also allows for increased power-handling. The larger cabinet allows for better bass response. The crossover can be updated to L100t3 specifications which helps tame the Titanium Dome tweeter (although it's really not that bad even with the stock L100T crossover).

I feel that the L100T would be the clear choice for music reproduction in a home environment. The 4425 might have the edge when doing what they were designed to do, which is be used for production/editing in a fairly small studio where their downsides wouldn't be much of a factor. I don't think either would be bad. Both would benefit from a subwoofer, but the 4425 would benefit more.

Thank you for that very informative and detailed response.

Considering the components I already have and your recommendation, I'll go with the L100T build.

Pm me on the 2214’s

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Pm me on the 2214’s
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post
    why?
    Ian could very well have some useful information to impart to you. And, because he offered!
    Will it hurt you to try?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Ian could very well have some useful information to impart to you. And, because he offered!
    Will it hurt you to try?
    I'm sure he is much more knowledgeable than I but why not post the information in the thread for others to learn from as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Pm me on the 2214’s
    If you read my original post, I already have the 2214H woofers.

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock602 View Post

Before I build the enclosures and invest in the horns, drivers and crossovers for the 4425,.
    I should have said "horn-drivers"

On the choice of system only you can decide by comparing them in your own room.

FWIW the L100T is more of a hifi loudspeaker that can play hard and loud. Great for rock.

The 4425 and the 4425mk11 was a scaled down 4430 bi radial for broadcast applications.

I’ve actually heard both and if you want to be blown away at home the L100T is the one. It’s larger than a regular bookshelf loudspeaker like the 4425 that’s how it comes across with a 200 watt per channel amp. The 4425 was less bass extension and its bi radial horn has a more diffused presentation. If you’re a jazz or classical musician listener it’s got a following.

Ah, having recalled the L100T l might build up a pair for grins.

The only improvement was Greg’s Gold Century Classic.

I’ve been away with much access and didn’t see that post.

Good luck with your project.

Bedrock,

Other good reasons to go with the L100T in your case.

Your intended use fits more with an Hi-Fi application than control monitoring.

Going with the 3-way you'll enjoy lower distortion in the high range since a dome has less distortion than the horn for comparable sound level.

Another benefit of the 3-way is you'll get increased mid sound dispersion due to the 5" cone mid compared to the 12" (at least up to the 1.2 khz crossover). A larger size woofer starts getting more directional (limited dispersion) way before a smaller mid.

In the 4425, the 2214 is practically used up to the limit of directivity with close to Di 10 db! In a studio control room where the sound is for and directed at the recording engineer this is more acceptable. Somewhat less desirable for a home environment.

The 5" mid will start progressively, as frequency goes up, getting more directional at approx. 3 khz which is better than the 2214. (The velocity of sound, used in the calculation, can vary a little depending if measured at sea level or not and room temperature). So the 5" cone will cover a larger bandwidth having a wider dispersion vs the 2214.

Richard
    Last edited by RMC; 01-06-2024 at 01:48 PM. Reason: notion of progressive directivity increase