Thread: Possible Altec 288 restoration !

Possible Altec 288 restoration !

I'm going to need help.Actually, I do need help, but that's another matter...

I've had a wide assortment of speakers and drivers over the years, but this is the first time I've considered repairing something which is very unlikely to work. Couple of pics attached.

One of the drivers has the mounting studs, the other doesn't. One has an orange cap, the other has no cap. The orange cap might be an indicator that these are 288s...?
    I should receive these sometime before Christmas, so there is no rush to acquire any parts, but a more solid identification would be nice (if it is possible).

*-If-* they are 288s I'd really appreciate any info regarding dismantling, repair and rebuild. Even if they're not, this will hopefully be an interesting exercise!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The orange cap is a later tangerine phase plug. You need one for the other driver. Hope you can find one.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    The orange cap is a later tangerine phase plug. You need one for the other driver. Hope you can find one. Rob
    I've not started looking yet, but suspect that could be one of the less significant issues!
    Fortunately I have some suitable kit for removing broken screws, repairing stripped threads, and similar. And a decent selection of small, very small and teeny-tiny screws that can be used.

It's the electronics and potential for a re-gauss that might be trickier to sort.
    I've seen a reasonable selection of Chinese copy parts for 288s (if these are 288s - I'll check the numbers on them once they are here) but sorting the cheap from the new rubbish will be necessary. I'm not a prima donna about originality and plan to use them (if I can sort them) so good quality non-original parts are fine.

These are ferrite and you may not be able to completely dissemble like an older alnico version. If Altec is similar to JBL the ferrite should be glued to the top plate. With the alnico's you could separate the top plate to get to the gap.

Best of luck.

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qFPSU5JD_1Q
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hopefully you got those for next to nothing.

Call GPA ( Great Plains Audio ) and ask them if they will sell you a replacement Phase Plug for either a 288-8K or 299 driver.
    - If not, you have essentially a fog-horn wannabee on your hands.

Back-caps can be fashioned out of almost anything circular of the proper dimensions >> I wouldn't be surprised if Ikea has a salad//mixing bowl that might be made to work.

Diaphragms?? Unless original GPA's are used, all bets are off >> though the first aftermarkets that I would try would be coming from ZXPC who are located in Florida ( they source Chinese parts for resale and hopefully should care a bit more about their reputation than a direct seller straight out of China >> IMHO ).

ZXPC Altec-style aluminum aftermarket diaphragm

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hopefully you got those for next to nothing.

Call GPA ( Great Plains Audio ) and ask them if they will sell you a replacement Phase Plug for either a 288-8K or 299 driver.
    - If not, you have essentially a fog-horn wannabee on your hands.

Back-caps can be fashioned out of almost anything circular of the proper dimensions >> I wouldn't be surprised if Ikea has a salad//mixing bowl that might be made to work.

Diaphragms?? Unless original GPA's are used, all bets are off >> though the first aftermarkets that I would try would be coming from ZXPC who are located in Florida ( they source Chinese parts for resale and hopefully should care a bit more about their reputation than a direct seller straight out of China >> IMHO ).

ZXPC Altec-style aluminum aftermarket diaphragm

There's a 288 driver, described as not working, on eBay now for US$247, and another working one for 500. These two cost me about a tenth of the asking for the non-working one listed on eBay, so not too expensive.

I've emailed GPA but not (yet) had a reply. Plenty of time. I'll contact ZXPC too. (Thanks for the heads-up.)

Thread Information