Thread: JBL C36 Viscount 032

JBL C36 Viscount 032

Hi Everyone- I've posted similar elsewhere and have no idea why I didn't start here.I just picked up my first set of of JBL's- C36 Viscount speakers with the 032 speaker load (D123, LE20 and LX2) at an estate sale. Cabinets are in great shape with just a couple of small chips in the veneer. The D123's look like new, with no sign of dry rot. In fact, internally everything looks new. Both cabinets have the original aluminum legs. Speakers are all 16 ohm.To be candid, I initially considered flipping them but after seeing how gorgeous they are cleaned up, I'm now likely keeping to use in my home office. My set up is pretty simple- A Sansui 5000x receiver, Dual 1229 turntable and I've been swapping speakers between my KLH 6's and my Goodwill-sourced Acoustic Research AR-4x's. I play all kinds of music, including but not limited to rock, jazz, country and folk. For the most part volumes are fairly low, at least during my work hours. The room is fairly small- think 10x10 or 10x12.I'd love to hear your experiences with similarly loaded C36 or C38's. To add one more thing, I don't consider myself an audiophile, but simply love listening to music on vintage gear. I'll post photos when I have a chance.

We definitely share your appreciation for these vintage speakers. If you decide you love the speakers, but want to improve the sound JBL had even nicer drive compliments for these cabinets, you can explore this in our Library.

Please do share photos… we’d love to see them. Also please see this thread on how to change the settings to format text and post photos: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post442784

Widget

Like Widget says, there should be an adapter plate to reduce the standard 15-inch driver mounting hole in the baffle to accommodate the 12-inch driver you have. Just removing it leaves a perfect baffle for a 15-inch driver like a D130. That's only if you really love the look of the cabinets and want to improve the sound you have. What you have now is basically a two-way version of an L100 Century or, essentially, an L88 or Nova in a nicer cabinet. Don't expect much from them in terms of deep bass or high highs and enjoy them for what they are. Keep in mind that if you do desire a 15-inch woofer, that cabinet is really too small to let the D130 perform as well as it can. Personally I love the D123 and have them in two 12-inch guitar amplifiers as inspired by Harvey Gerst's suggestions here.

Enjoy!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Given the small room and modest volume, I don't have any concerns about the abilities of the D123 so probably not likely to upgrade any time soon, if ever. These do have the adapter plates installed should I ever change my mind. I'm hoping the sound is nice enough in comparison to my KLH 6's or the AR4x's current in the rotation. On a tangential note- would anyone suggest the best way to clean/ polish the aluminum legs?

Quote Originally Posted by ac207 View Post
    On a tangential note- would anyone suggest the best way to clean/ polish the aluminum legs?
    The ones I have are turned after casting so I just use an ultra-fine sandpaper and rotate them in the paper by hand. I suppose a wire wheel could accomplish the same.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by ac207 View Post
    Given the small room and modest volume, I don't have any concerns about the abilities of the D123 so probably not likely to upgrade any time soon, if ever. These do have the adapter plates installed should I ever change my mind. I'm hoping the sound is nice enough in comparison to my KLH 6's or the AR4x's current in the rotation. On a tangential note- would anyone suggest the best way to clean/ polish the aluminum legs?
    If you are happy with the sound, then don't fix success... I was simply pointing out that you have options, not really recommending that you make any changes.

As for the aluminum feet, I would unscrew them and put the threaded bolt into a variable speed drill. I would run the drill at low speed and lightly pass some fine sandpaper or 3M industrial abrasive pads up and down the length.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If you are happy with the sound, then don't fix success... I was simply pointing out that you have options, not really recommending that you make any changes.As for the aluminum feet, I would unscrew them and put the threaded bolt into a variable speed drill. I would run the drill at low speed and lightly pass some fine sandpaper or 3M industrial abrasive pads up and down the length.Widget
    Totally understood where you were coming from and appreciate it. I haven't had a chance to hear them in the room where I'll have them yet so good to know the option exists. A few years ago, I happened into a genuine Altec Lansing 820 Iconic cabinet that was loaded with a pair of 32 ohm 130b's (and some other cool stuff) that were near perfect. Doing the research on that was an eye-opening experience into the variety of ways these could be configured. That experience definitely fueled my interest in JBL and I was happy to snag these C36's at what I felt was a reasonable price to me (but not my wife- though these are attractive enough in her eyes to be allowed in the house and not relegated to the garage). Thanks to you and PMBMWCCA for the advice on the legs.

Short Video

I finally had a chance to hear them- albeit through a backup receiver and cheap Sony turntable (which I'm gifting to a friend for his daughter). The only thing I've done is clean the dust off the cabinets- the crossover settings are exactly where the previous owner had them set. From what I can tell, these are going to be way too big for my little room...perfect! https://youtu.be/4YkLZb0oAsI?si=JedOKeitqZFbxL2d

Thread Information