Thread: JBL 376 slight buzzing

JBL 376 slight buzzing

To my dismay I've been hearing a slight buzzing on one of my JBL 376 drivers when the music hits a certain frequency. The buzzing isn't constant and on most frequencies the sound is fine but on specific higher frequencies - I can hear a slight buzz. Is there a way I could try to diagnose the problem?Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Open the back-cap of the driver and inspect the foam damper pad.

If it's turned into a crumbling///sticky///mush, then replace it with purpose-cut boot-liner felt ( of course after first cleaning out the foam mess ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Open the back-cap of the driver and inspect the foam damper pad.If it's turned into a crumbling///sticky///mush, then replace it with purpose-cut boot-liner felt ( of course after first cleaning out the foam mess ) .
    No kidding! I found some felt boot liners - https://thefeltstore.com/products/wo...gle%20Shopping but will something like these felt sheets also work? https://www.amazon.com/Felt-Furnitur...1zcF9tdGY&th=1 was honestly worried that it might be something wrong with the diaphragm. What usually happens when the diaphragm starts going bad? Will this be buzzing you can hear constantly?Thank you again!

The Boot-Liner is better because it's not as dense ( it allows a bit of the sound back-wave to enter and get trapped >> stopping internal reflections ).

If you don't over-drive the diaphragm ( typical home levels won't stress the diaphragm ) , it'll last almost your lifetime.

I agree with Earl on his suggestion. If you have the back cap open with a non magnetic screw driver just very carefully make sure you don't have a mounting screw that may have loosened up over time.

I had a similar issue where that happened. I did the install and could never figure out if it actually backed out or if I just messed it up during the install.

Be very careful around that magnetic field.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Also while you have the back off take a light and look around the edge of the diaphragm for a small crack. This is what I found years ago with this same symptom on a 2420 about 1/8” long. Changed out diaphragm and problem was gone

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I agree with Earl on his suggestion. If you have the back cap open with a non magnetic screw driver just very carefully make sure you don't have a mounting screw that may have loosened up over time.I had a similar issue where that happened. I did the install and could never figure out if it actually backed out or if I just messed it up during the install.Be very careful around that magnetic field.Rob
    This is definitely a fear of mine - I will make sure to take extra care with the mounting screws. Fingers crossed I won’t lose it to the magnet. Thank you for the helpful tip!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    Also while you have the back off take a light and look around the edge of the diaphragm for a small crack. This is what I found years ago with this same symptom on a 2420 about 1/8” long. Changed out diaphragm and problem was gone
    I have this horrible feeling this might be the case. Of course I’m hoping that it’s not but I won’t know until I open it up. Do you or anyone have a recommendation of a good substitute diaphragm - or someone that sells one - that will come closest to what the 2441 sounds like with the factory diaphragm? Did you notice a difference when you changed it out?Lastly, is there a correct amount to tighten the screws when putting everything back together - and if so is there a way to measure it?Thanks again in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever View Post
    You were right upon close inspection, I saw that there was a small dent on the diaphragm from someone who owned this before me. I started another thread specifically about replacement diaphragms - but wanted to ask you on this thread, would a small dent like this (it has not been punctured) cause the slight buzzing at specific high frequencies? I was able to clear out all the old foam and am about replace it with some felt - would this help with the buzzing issue a bit?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information