Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I had to say goodbye to my JBL L300s

Take your paper-towel tube to verify that all drivers are working. Plenty of blown 035ti from under-powering at high volume, and other bad behavior.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    L5s are wood veneer with a black stain. The front baffle is more like masonite painted black. I have a problem with FB Marketplace sometimes where the entire description disappears, and this is happening with your link. I can't even tell if they have all four grilles for them. The speakers/drivers themselves look fine and you can freshen up the cabinets with anything from black shoe polish to stripping them and refinishing them in normal wood tone. I suppose that's current pricing but you used to be able to get two-pair for that. Okay, it seems to work on my mobile so I can see the grilles. Everything looks like it will clean up okay. He's looking for offers Compared to other nicer ones much further away . . . I'd toss $300 out there and see if he bites. But then you're the one who has to do that drive, not me!
    Thanks! I just knew you'd have the scoop on this. I appreciate it. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    The same reason I hoard (kind of) JBL legacy drivers. I keep LE10s, LE14s and 2235s for future projects. Anything modern is 4x the price and, most times, only just as good. I jealously keep my L5s and L7s for the same reason.
    It looks like L5s would fit in that space quite well and they would sound very good to, IMO. I have used a pair in my family room as front speakers in a 5.1 system for over ten year with spacing similar to your situation. I also use the L5s in two channel mode and they provide good detail, separation and sound stage in this configuration. I can't say enough good things about L5 speakers. To this day they still impress me with the sound they deliver. They are one set of speakers I will take to my grave.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageJBL View Post
    It looks like L5s would fit in that space quite well and they would sound very good to, IMO. I have used a pair in my family room as front speakers in a 5.1 system for over ten year with spacing similar to your situation. I also use the L5s in two channel mode and they provide good detail, separation and sound stage in this configuration. I can't say enough good things about L5 speakers. To this day they still impress me with the sound they deliver. They are one set of speakers I will take to my grave.
    Thanks that reinforces my inclination to get a pair. The guy in Jacksonville is hanging tough at $400, but I just agonize over the thought of a seven hour round trip up there on I95! I'm watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace every day for a pair. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Thanks that reinforces my inclination to get a pair. The guy in Jacksonville is hanging tough at $400, but I just agonize over the thought of a seven hour round trip up there on I95! I'm watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace every day for a pair. Thanks.
    As I said, I drove to Boston from VA for my first pair, but I was dropping my daughter off at college near Kingston, NY, anyway.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Seven hours is a long drive but I will say the $400 price for a pair in very good shape isn't a bad deal, IMO. I have been keeping my eye out for another pair and in the Washington, DC area for several years and have found that the picking are slim for L5s. I see a lot of them available in the northeast though. I drove from Northern Virginia to the North Carolina boarder (7 hour round trip) for mine. If you could audition a pair of L5s I think you would make the drive to get these. Finding a pair any closer than 3.5 hours, any time soon, might take years to occur. Especially at that price for a pair in good condition.

Seven hours is a long drive but I will say the $400 price for a pair in very good shape isn't a bad deal, IMO. I have been keeping my eye out for another pair and in the Washington, DC area for several years and have found that the picking are slim for L5s. I see a lot of them available in the northeast though. I drove from Northern Virginia to the North Carolina boarder (7 hour round trip) for mine. If you could audition a pair of L5s I think you would make the drive to get these. Finding a pair any closer than 3.5 hours, any time soon, might take years to occur. Especially at that price for a pair in good condition.
    I blame T-dome!
    Reading about the '90s L-series here is what got me interested and I've been singing their praises for over 15-years—while prices have tripled.

I blame T-dome! Reading about the '90s L-series here is what got me interested and I've been singing their praises for over 15-years—while prices have tripled.
    My interest in the Lx series was due to me buying a pair of L100t3s in 1989. I figured their successors would be even better considering their specs and four-way design. Then I read some posts here about them and that sealed it for me to buy a pair. I started with a set of L3s I found local for $175 and then moved up to the L5s not long after for around $350. It took me all of a few minutes to know the L5s were much better than the L100t3s. I know there are better speakers than the L5s but for me they are more than enough and I haven't even once considered replacing them. Especially so after inserting a HSU sub to compliment them.

My interest in the Lx series was due to me buying a pair of L100t3s in 1989. I figured their successors would be even better considering their specs and four-way design. Then I read some posts here about them and that sealed it for me to buy a pair. I started with a set of L3s I found local for $175 and then moved up to the L5s not long after for around $350. It took me all of a few minutes to know the L5s were much better than the L100t3s. I know there are better speakers than the L5s but for me they are more than enough and I haven't even once considered replacing them. Especially so after inserting a HSU sub to compliment them.
    Well, here they are. Just took them out the car. Found them in Spring Hill, Florida. They have a few minor cabinet issues so I got them for $350. Thanks guys for all your help. Now I have to find something to make them go. I have NOTHING at this point. I gave all my stuff to my son-in-law. Any ideas without going overboard?? All I plan on playing are my CDs. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, here they are. Just took them out the car. Found them in Spring Hill, Florida. They have a few minor cabinet issues so I got them for $350. Thanks guys for all your help. Now I have to find something to make them go. I have NOTHING at this point. I gave all my stuff to my son-in-law. Any ideas without going overboard?? All I plan on playing are my CDs. Thanks.
    Congratulations! Do you have a preference for older gear or more modern? I run mine with a Denon X3500H AVR and the L5s sound great with it in two channel mode. For older gear, I have become a fan of NAD's Monitor Series and really like how they drive my L100t3s. I haven't tried the NAD gear I have with the L5s but I am sure they will make them sound great. I picked up a NAD 7100 for $150 and it is a very, very good receiver that delivers loads of power and has incredible dynamic head room of 6-7 dB. There are so many other brands that will work well with them. L5s like a decent amount of clean power to get the best from them, IMO. Also, I would install some feet to get them off the floor.

Congrats!!

I am very fond of my Crown Straight Line One preamp along with my Crown PS-200's and 400's. Depending on how loud you like to listen, you could get away with one 200 for the mids & highs and one 400 for the woofers. If you're like me, you'll want one 200 for each mid & high, left & right as well as two 400's for the rest. Those are easily obtainable via eBay and what not. If you've got more of a budget, I highly recommend the Crown Studio Reference amplifiers. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better on bass. Can't really vouch for their performance up top as I'm still conducting "trials," but it's good so far. SR-I for the woofers, SR-II for the mids & highs.

OMG, Derek! Are you deaf by now?

For over four-years now my L5s have been doing daily duty in my TV room with a stereo listening setup using Crown PSL-2 (I know, that's overkill, but I had one), and a single JBL/Urei 6260. I find the 6260 to be roughly the equivalent to a Crown PS400 which was previously in this system. I paid $100 for the Urei and put it in the system to try out over three-years ago . . . and never thought about replacing it.

I have a Crown Studio Reference-II in my speaker play-area and it is fantastic, but it is also overkill for the L5. Even the L7 doesn't need it. I don't even use it with my 4345s! Currently it's playing my 240ti and a pair of DCM TimeFrame-600s, which don't need it, either. I bought the Crown SR-II for my 250ti's that are still at the old house. Quite honestly the L5 sounded fine with just a Crown PS-200. And when I bought them, I took along a Crown D75A to test them and they sounded just fine. They really don't need much power to sound delightful.

Start with something simple—or even borrowed—and see how you like the speakers. For over five-decades I've relied on Crown amps, some new, most used. The rest of my old stuff is Soundcraftsmen, some Adcom, and one Carver. You could make those L5 sound great with maybe $400 in amps and pre-amps and a couple hundred in a good old single-play CD deck with USB connectivity for your phone. Or order something new from Crutchfield and, if you don't like it, send it back—for free! Yamaha makes some interesting integrated amps with DACs starting as low as $350.

Enjoy

Congratulations. Much fun incoming

OMG, Derek! Are you deaf by now?
    Whaat?? Louder, please. I can't hear you.

Not deaf, yet. What really surprises me is that I'm constantly telling those around me to lower their voices, that they talk too loudly. I also wonder if the 813C's are conditioning my ears. Just bought three 811C's and the seller said something about his room acoustics and that the horns can be pretty hard on the ears... Sounded fine to me...

Paint for L5

I had to do a little body work on the side panels of one of my recently purchased L5s and I think I have found the near perfect paint match for those who may be interested. After a little patching up a few damaged spots I did two double wet coats on the top and two sides with this stuff and it looks about as close the factory finish as possible. I got it at AutoZone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information