Thread: JBL L45 "Flair" Mid-range Driver

JBL L45 "Flair" Mid-range Driver

I was just looking at the brochure for the "Flair" and read that the 5" mid-range, which I always assumed to be a LE5-2, was designed with higher output than the mid of the L100 so that it could be mated with a 15" woofer. Does anyone know the model number of the higher output LE5 ? . https://www.lansingheritage.org/html...s/1974-l45.htm

Thanks for the links, those are interesting. I am referring to the brochure that I linked in my original post. On page 3, it states that a higher output 5" midrange was required for the 15" woofer. I'm wondering if there is a model number for that particular driver. Or, maybe, the L45 in the brochure never made it to production...................... EDIT: I see that it is the LE5-5....................https://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/T...Flair%20ts.pdf

Le 5-x

LE 5-x
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Thanks Odd, that's helpful. Looks like the LE5-2 is more efficient than the LE5-5 so I'm still not sure which mid-range they were referring to in the brochure.......................................... ....https://www.lansingheritage.org/html...s/1974-l45.htm

Giskard mentioned years back that the Le5-2 was made in 2 different versions >> one having a round wire voice coil and the other being edge-wound.

He mentioned they weren't identifiable and wondered himself why 2 types even existed.

One plausible explanation is that the first le5-2's made for the 4310 were constructed using round wire coils which would therefore be less efficient ( due to not having as many windings in the magnetic gap ).
    - This lower efficiency wouldn't be a problem when paired with a 12" woofer.

Then the need for "louder" came along ( as per your linked article >> due to being paired with a 15" woofer ).

Getting more db's from the round-wire VC can be easily accomplished by using edgewound voice-coil wire, so that's what JBL did.

Guessing that due to this newer le5's success, JBL then decided to standardize on the edgewound type coil and use it with the less efficient 12" woofers ( since the variable Lpad can adjust for the difference ).

That's my story ( and willing to run with it for a while >> until someone like GT says different ).

Sounds reasonable. I am considering building a three-way around a L55 (LE14A & LE20-1) and adding a LE5 and custom crossover. Would the common LE5-2, etc. be efficient enough for the LE14A ?

For Sure!

The le14a is around 92-93db efficient so according to the posted chart there are quite a few le5 variants that would work with that woofer.

That's good news, thank you.

Thread Information