Thread: JBL 2447 Horns

JBL 2447 Horns

Hi all, Looking for some advice.I recently bought a pair of JBL 2447s with 2352 horns. I really like the sound but the horns are just too big. Will be used for PA above 12s.Are there any other horns that you can recommend? Was thinking of using 1.5"-2" adaptors to increase my options. Some like 2380 but just can't find any in the UK. Are there some other brands that would work?

what i ended up with

JBL 2332 horns

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

B&C makes some nice horns. 2380s and 85s were very widely used here in the US so lots of them out there if you wanted to pay shipping.

Thanks for the replies all. Think I'm going to have to use another brand as shipping plus taxes from the US will be too much.Would it be OK to use 1.4" horns on 1.5" comps? Not much difference

Hi Banga,

I see that you want to use it for PA and then it is an issue of throw length. If you need to to go far you will need a narrow horn (like the 2334 = 60*40 degrees, I think it is). If you are ok with up to 15-20 meters read below.

This is what you need (pls see below). By far the best option south of the M2 or 4367 wave guide (and some other large and expensive alternatives). It does not look the part and it is plastic but don't let that fool you. I have measured many horns over the years and this is the best out there with such small footprint.

It can be XO'd down to about 1kHz and even lower with the help of a DSP. It acts as a normal CD upwards in frequency. You will need a physical support for the heavy 2447 but we regularly hang our 2450SL and 2451 drivers direct without support. Haven't had one fail yet.

There are other JBL horns that look similar but they are not the same. This the one to use. This is used in the current JBL VTX F12 and F15 cabinets, albeit with a D2 driver but 2447 may be even better IMHO.

2332-2334 are by no means a slouch but they are diffraction horns and compared to a modern wave guide I think the latter wins hands down. -And it is cheap :-) .

I have updated loads of JBL boxes with this for HiFi use and it is a great upgrade. DSP is of course preferred but that goers for all 4" drivers. We typically use this to make or "M2 Light" using Array 4892 cabinets and swapping in these.

Also to take a look at swapping in an SL diaphragm in the driver as that makes a huge difference compared to Titanium also for PA.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...006815-stx825/

JBL VTX F12 wave guide # 5006815

If you are in Europe I think I have most of the small footprint Alu horn laying around if you decide to go that route (2332, 2333 & 2334). Those are the ones we swap out.

Going to a 1,4" horn is a hit & miss thing from my experience. You really have to try or find someone who have tried the combination. The position of the phasing plug does matter and you can get nasty dips.

Same with JBL drivers/horns combo's, the 2447/2450SL/2451/2452 drivers works fine on the above horn but the 2453 need an adapter ring.

You just have to do some research in the forums. I'm too lazy and as the above wave guide works excellent I have not seen a reason to. Of course we don't do much PA nowadays, but rather mostly HiFi.

Good luck what ever route you take. Great driver.

Kind regards
    //Rob

My 25 cents
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Hi Rob,Appreciate you taking the time to reply, thank you.The link you sent says 1"-1.3" but 2447 is 1.5". Am I missing something? I thought it was a bad idea to go smaller but bigger is OK?

Hi Banga,

I have no idea why they state those numbers but they are indeed 1,5" throat.

If you look at the list of compatible speakers you will see that those use D2 (2430k) or 2451 drivers. All 1,5" drivers.

I have used them in many systems and I do have about 10 of them operational here now, mounted on 2447, 2450SL, 2451 and D2's.

The 2451 will need an adapter of sorts as the bolt circle is larger than on the other drivers, for which the wave guide bolts up directly. I typically have the adapters made in Alu by a local machine shop and would be happy to share a basic drawing, if needed.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Thanks for confirming!

Thread Information