Thread: Screws for L-65 LE5-5 Midrange

Screws for L-65 LE5-5 Midrange

Forgive me if this sounds lame, but I'm trying to help a friend over in Germany who owns a pair of L-65A Speakers.
    He states the previous owner somehow lost 1 Screw and 1 T-Nut. (I know, perhaps some Speakers had simple wood screws, apparently in his case they were Machine Screws.

He's had difficulty in Germany trying to find what is needed. And I don't have access to my L-65 Speakers to further help him.

I assumed they would be an Oval Head Screw, 8-32, perhaps 1/2" to 5/8" long. Seems there's confusion and no joy, but a screw shop he visited, was told this was some special size-type of Screw. Hmmm.
    He claimed he found a #8 Screw, but the Head was too large. Again, a head scratcher.

I would assume JBL didn't use Metric Fasteners back in the day, but don't quote me on such.

Anyone have a hunch?

If it was me, I would likely replace all 8 screws for both speakers for a cosmetic match.

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds lame, but I'm trying to help a friend over in Germany who owns a pair of L-65A Speakers.He states the previous owner somehow lost 1 Screw and 1 T-Nut. (I know, perhaps some Speakers had simple wood screws, apparently in his case they were Machine Screws.He's had difficulty in Germany trying to find what is needed. And I don't have access to my L-65 Speakers to further help him.I assumed they would be an Oval Head Screw, 8-32, perhaps 1/2" to 5/8" long. Seems there's confusion and no joy, but a screw shop he visited, was told this was some special size-type of Screw. Hmmm. He claimed he found a #8 Screw, but the Head was too large. Again, a head scratcher. I would assume JBL didn't use Metric Fasteners back in the day, but don't quote me on such. Anyone have a hunch?If it was me, I would likely replace all 8 screws for both speakers for a cosmetic match.
    You're right, wood screws were common for the LE-5, and indeed there were some with machine screws and t-nuts. I don't think JBL was using any metric sizes then either. They were smaller than 8-32 as I recall.

I may have one. PM me. I’ll check.

Thread Information