Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L212 towers - why not - stacked!

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I am confused. Would they not sound better with the tweeters on the outside like the 43XX?
    For me, it was an aesthetic thing ... access to the terminals is on the bottom of the tower portion, which works out to be the Woofer end.
    So rather than have the Woofers and the wire bundle in the center area where it could get snagged as people walk through,
    I simply stacked them the other way to be neater and expedient when I set them up.
    Maybe I'll restack them the other way next time I have some time ... but frankly they sound pretty good as they are now ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    I am confused. Would they not sound better with the tweeters on the outside like the 43XX?
    Too hot for yardwork outside, so I flipped them a few minutes ago. Its not a profound change, but I did get the wires tucked. Need to listen more!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

An embarrasment of riches indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    An embarrasment of riches indeed.
    Yes, but since she is sharing we get vicarious enjoyment.

Widget

+1

I agree whole heartedly!

Ron sends

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yes, but since she is sharing we get vicarious enjoyment.

Widget
    JBL Pro for home use!

Yah, I've never actually seen a set of L212's in the wild, let alone two of them. Are those the only consumer JBL that uses an 8" midbass driver aside from the 250 series? I've always been curious as to how those do midbass compared to the 6" in my XPL200's and the 15's in my 813C's.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Are those the only consumer JBL that uses an 8" midbass driver aside from the 250 series?
    As usual, everyone overlooks the L7.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Indeed I did. Guess I was thinking of 8" drivers also used for pro applications? Truth be told, I've heard a set of L7's and wasn't impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Indeed I did. Guess I was thinking of 8" drivers also used for pro applications? Truth be told, I've heard a set of L7's and wasn't impressed.
    Many people feel the same way. Which is fantastic and keeps prices down for the rest of us.

Maybe you should try them again, now that you have a better amplifier?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

You know, that's a good point. The L7's I heard were being powered by an Adcom GFA-555II I was looking to buy to fill in for a Marantz 510M I was having checked out. It just so happened the dude had a room full of gear and didn't seem to mind BS'ing with me about it all. Told him I heard lots and lots of good stuff about the L7's (He tried to take that as an opportunity to sell those too..) Anyway, I remember listening and thinking either the amp or those speakers sounded terrible. His source and preamp were probably the issue. But at the time I thought that if it was the amp, meh, I'll run it until I get the Marantz back and then dump the Adcom. Funny, because I ended up dumping the Marantz after a shootout with the Adcom So yeah, probably just need to hear a set of L7's driven by gear like mine.

I personally love Heather's experiments which are at the heart of this thread. What I'm hoping to accomplish with my "collection" is to provide an environment where many different JBLs can be compared equitably to each other as well as a few strays from other manufacturers. It won't be perfect but it should answer the questions, "are the 10-inch 3-way JBLs better than the 12-inch 3-ways", "why are the original L100 both revered and hated", "is an L5 equivalent to the revered L112—or better", "can the L150A stand up to the 250ti", "does the Pro3 Plus sound so damn good when compared to other JBLs", "is placement of the L7 as critical as others claim", "why can't the L80T3 hold a candle to the L96"?

In the general scheme of things, these are trivial questions. But the chance to hear such a variety of vintage and classic JBLs in the same room with the same amplification has always fascinated me. It will also help me to separate the wheat from the chaff and pare down the herd. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I personally love Heather's experiments which are at the heart of this thread. What I'm hoping to accomplish with my "collection" is to provide an environment where many different JBLs can be compared equitably to each other as well as a few strays from other manufacturers. It won't be perfect but it should answer the questions, "are the 10-inch 3-way JBLs better than the 12-inch 3-ways", "why are the original L100 both revered and hated", "is an L5 equivalent to the revered L112—or better", "can the L150A stand up to the 250ti", "does the Pro3 Plus sound so damn good when compared to other JBLs", "is placement of the L7 as critical as others claim", "why can't the L80T3 hold a candle to the L96"?

In the general scheme of things, these are trivial questions. But the chance to hear such a variety of vintage and classic JBLs in the same room with the same amplification has always fascinated me. It will also help me to separate the wheat from the chaff and pare down the herd. Maybe.
    Obviously, it'll take more than 1 or 2 set of ears to reach conclusion on such audio Conundrums ....
    So, when is the next Mid-Virginia Listening party? Its been 13 years since this comparison at John's place!
    Mark has moved away, but John is still somewhat local, and I bet Jim would be interested ...
    So, is there a suitable room in C-ville?
    Last edited by hjames; 08-03-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Obviously, it'll take more than 1 or 2 set of ears to reach conclusion on such audio Conundrums ....
    So, when is the next Mid-Virginia Listening party? Its been 13 years!
    Mark has moved away, but John is still somewhat local, and I bet Jim would be interested ...
    Short answer: Not yet!
    The state of my readiness pre-retirement is . . . pitiful.
    Headed out this weekend for family get-together in Michigan. Many of the speakers are still at the old house (full L-series 1,3,5 and 7) along with 250ti, 4412A, L96 L112, and several others. Over half the amps are still there, too. The "bonus" room in the new house is fully insulated and climate-controlled, but no finished wall or floors. There are probably over a dozen speakers in the basement in which I'm over half-way through sealing the rock-wool ceiling insulation in Tyvek while deciding if I want to tackle the suspended ceiling install myself. Oh, and there are also now six BMW bikes in the basement, in addition to a thousand or more BMW model cars and bikes. And the woodworking tools that helped resurrect that first pair of original in-line L100s I recently completed, are there, too.

And when I get back from vacation, there is a bike charging system to diagnose and repair, as well as a riding mower with a Briggs engine that may have a bad valve/valve-guide issue at less than 100-hours. And several acres that still need mowing. Not to mention a garage with two bikes in mid-restoration, a 50-year-old car on jack stands, and another with a to-do list that's short but more involved than I have energy to tackle right now, as well as one motorcycle I intend to sell with a new tire sitting next to it.

I need to retire just to get some work done!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Short answer: Not yet!

I need to retire just to get some work done!

I know that well - Emma has been enjoying all my yard work restoring the pond and cleaning up after the Microburst downed trees in the yard ...
    she says its a great use of my retirement time (!) ....
    Tho I don't have any vehicles to restore/repair in the queue - yet.
    (tho Emma did get excited and approved dropping some money when I mentiond I'd like to find a street legal Super 7 for a fair weather play car)
    I love being married to a car gal!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ....and I bet Jim would be interested ...
    Well, I was until I saw Phil's project list and now I'm not sure I'll still be driving by the time he gets all that done.:-D

Thread Information