Thread: Need Help With DX-1 Card Dimensions

Need Help With DX-1 Card Dimensions

Posting one paragraph at a time since carriage returns are being stripped when I save.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

What I'm up to

Back in the hobby after a long hiatus with a foot injury that has sidelined me for the summer. To pass the time I decided to build a DX-1 electronic crossover since I've always wanted one, they are as rare as unicorn farts, all the info is out there and it will let me sharpen some old skills. It's helpful that there is so much documentation here and a few other locations that I have the schematics, about a hundred photos, several PDF's so electrically and almost all mechanical details are known.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

What I need help with

One of my design decisions is that I want the crossover cards to be electrically and mechanically interchangeable with the originals. The electrical is a slam dunk as I have photos showing the traces, etc.. It the physical aspect I need halp with. I already know that they are 2.2" x 2.65". The difficult part is exact size and location of the mounting holes with respect to the 11 pin connector. I want the card PCB's to be exact replacements and so they need to fit correctly.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

The easy part

I have done my best using photographs (Bless JBL for the 0.05" hatch marks on the main board) but I really need a test fit to make sure. I figure that this community is the most likely to locate a DX-1 owner that would be willing to help me get this right. If you do and are willing to help I'd like to mail you some card stock that is the same dimension as the DX-1 card complete with mounting holes. Basically lay the card on top (the non component side) and tell me if I got it right and if not how far off I am.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

More measurements needed - any volunteers

I also need a couple of other dimensions for verification purposes. To get these you would need to remove one of the cards. It should be pretty easy to do so, but with the rarity of the DX-1 I would understand if you didn't want to take the chance. Those dimensions are: The height of the 11 pin connector that is soldered to the crossover card. From the pictures I have it appears to be 0.35". The height of the plastic portion of mating connector on the main board. I have no idea currently what it is other than "assuming" it's the typical height of the standard product. Finally, the height of the white plastic support that snaps into the crossover card hole. I need the height from the top of the main board to where the bottom of the crossover card would fit. So, if you have one and would like to help, please give me a holler. Thanks!
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I had a project to have blank copies of DX-1 cards made, but never found a good resource to make them - If you have any ideas, let me know. Was hoping I could just send a card off and someone else would do all the work for me I think there were two different DX-1 card layouts - are you trying to copy both of them? Lastly, I come through Portland often enough, I could probably drop something off for you to copy - DM me and we can work out a day/time.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

These threads should help you. Follow the links

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...=dx1+crossover

I did my own cards using blank Radio Shack cards Linked above.

Also look in the similar threads box at the bottom of the page More threads will pop up. As far as dimensions I just used standard connector parts and notched the pcb's The fit of the connectors is enough to basically hold the cards in place. Basic DIM hole center to HC is aprox 2.150, Hole ID .150 and .250 from card edge to center. These are approximate using a caliper by eye to center.

I would make a dry fit blank to verify

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Woohoo! Fixed my text pronlem - WYSIWYG setting was the culpret

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I had a project to have blank copies of DX-1 cards made, but never found a good resource to make them - If you have any ideas, let me know. Was hoping I could just send a card off and someone else would do all the work for me I think there were two different DX-1 card layouts - are you trying to copy both of them? Lastly, I come through Portland often enough, I could probably drop something off for you to copy - DM me and we can work out a day/time.
    Thanks for your offer! All I need is one card to validate the physical aspects. The layout appears to use standard through hole spacing, but having examples of the HF and LF cards would speed things up, and I could compare the full size Gerber file printouts with the real thing.

Over the last few years the tools to design PCB's have really evolved, even the free multi platform ones like KiCad. I "fired" Windows for almost everything a few years back, so wound up having to run a Windows VM for things like CAD and CircuitMaker 2000, so it was a real effort as the VM would constantly need new network ports and had other issues. There are also several PCB fabs that will inexpensively turn around small lots of PCB's from those files. It's all way easier than it used to be!

I'll DM you shortly
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    These threads should help you. Follow the links

I did my own cards using blank Radio Shack cards Linked above.

Also look in the similar threads box at the bottom of the page More threads will pop up. As far as dimensions I just used standard connector parts and notched the pcb's The fit of the connectors is enough to basically hold the cards in place. Basic DIM hole center to HC is aprox 2.150, Hole ID .150 and .250 from card edge to center. These are approximate using a caliper by eye to center.

I would make a dry fit blank to verify

Rob
    Thanks! I don't know how in the world I missed your thread, I really thought I had all the photos and info on these that there was to be had.

That photo you attached is gold! Do you recall if the connector used 0,10" (2.54mm) spacing or 2.5mm when you built your cards? I assume the former, but assumptions...
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Thanks! I don't know how in the world I missed your thread, I really thought I had all the photos and info on these that there was to be had.

That photo you attached is gold! Do you recall if the connector used 0,10" (2.54mm) spacing or 2.5mm when you built your cards? I assume the former, but assumptions...
    Your welcome!

.100 hole to hole.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Your welcome!

.100 hole to hole.

Rob
    Sweet!

One of the things I've found curious is why the cards mount with the component side down? It's really not much if an issue for passives like caps, but the LF board has an option for an op-amp. Seems like that could potentially cause a heat issue, I can only think it's to set a physical size limit to ensure cover clearance.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread Information