Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: M2 diy passive crossover thread ---- from down under

No worries.

Over on Diyaudio Lyn Olsen did a very long thread on an Altec 416 with an Oblate wave guide. The Altec woofer trades efficiency and a larger enclosures for Xmax low in a smaller box.

In other words you need 4 x the power to run a 2226nd. I’ve never used or build a Yuichi horn But l did correspond with Yuichi. Unfortunately l never got around to making a Yuichi horn. I would probably build a Joseph Crowe horn which is an improvement on the Tad TH4001 horn,

Let me know when your read and l can do a 36 db 650 hertz crossover for just like Tad used.

Ian

I posted over on Diyaudio.com in one of Patrick Bateman threads proliferating the virtues of the M2 style horn. It will be interesting to see if Patrick posts here.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...3#post-7055711

Quote Originally Posted by Baaronj View Post
    ....projects documented using 2216nd in place of the 15" Altecs I'm accustomed to working with, and very little info comparing their preformance, even if only subjectively.
    Welcome to the forum. Not sure if you have seen this post yet, some good comparison in it.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post364835

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    .... Unfortunately l never got around to making a Yuichi horn.
    I will also join this club. Beautiful stuff though.

Hi all those viewing this thread.

Before l can start the 2451 measurements l need to fit the 2451 driver to the flange.

But there’s a problem Houston. The studs are too long and won’t allow the horn to sit on the flange.

Always plan your space station repairs before you do your space walk.

So l had to figure out how to solve the problem. After attempting the dry fit the flange and the driver the immediate problem was removing the studs. They are way too long. About two inches. It wasn’t easy to remove the studs and my guess is seller couldn’t remove them. But l got them out without damage to the threads with some controlled force using strong grips.

Dry fitting the flange to the horn throat again with the 2451 driver l firstly lined up the horn mounting holes with the metal flange holes. However, it’s easy to confuse the flange horn mounting holes with the driver mounting holes. So l used a black marker and tape on the drive to locate the driver. Before l can proceed l need to obtain some shorter one one inch length studs to mount the driver from my hardware outlet.

The flange should also be set off from the plastic mounting posts with some shims or washers as there’s a fine gap when the flange centre hole is flush with the horn throat. Otherwise you may damage the horn throat when tightening the flange bolts.

It’s fiddly so sketchy your time if you plan to try different drivers on the M2 horn.

Edit:

I’ve ordered some shorter 1/4 UNC set screws which l think will be much better. I hope they will arrive later this week.

1/4" x 20 TPI UNC Coarse Plain Black Grade 14.9 Cup Point Socket (1/8" Key) Set Screws Grub ANSI B 18.3

https://www.boltandnut.com.au/1-4-x-...iABEgJl0fD_BwE

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 06-26-2022 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Updated information

I received the stainless steel 1/4 inch unc set screws (one inch) with 1/8 inch hex Allen key wrench size. This solution seems a more satisfactory than the studs with a slotted end. The slotted end wasn’t strong enough to cope with the torque necessary to remove the studs and failed. I might put some anti cease lubricant in them in case they need removal at some stage.

Hopefully if the rain eases over the weekend l will post some measurements.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Unfortunately it’s going to be raining here till next Thursday so l will post some indoor measurements over the weekend. It’s not deal but will give an indication of the 2430, 0476 and 2451 characteristics on the M2 horn.

We actually have the same rain schedule as of last night. Thanks for the update.

Name:  1788AA06-5DDE-4F23-B673-1E50AFE1ABC5.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  57.3 KB

Thread Information