Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greg Timbers Interview

Thanks Champster for posting this and thanks Ian for posting it in the other thread as well. I thought it was super cool he took the time to meet and answer all of those questions off the cuff. It seems like he is a humble person even though he has designed all of these great systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    1. The "shopping mall live piano" demonstration of the importance of dynamics.
    2. How power compression in testing will affect measurements.
    3. His mention of the difference of opinion between the "Sean and Floyd guys" and his personal take on the importance of dynamics versus directivity.
    Also agree. His take on dynamics versus directivity makes total sense. I also didn't know constant directivity and how lively a room sounds played together. I assumed the opposite was true.

One of the neat parts about LHF is that you can lurk undetected, but still see all of the content. I did this for years while in college until finally signing up, so if you happen to take a look at this thread Greg, thanks for taking the time to do the interview and many other years of answering questions through other members. Glad to see you still have the passion of building and I hope all is well.

Thanks,
    Scott

I have a follow up on Greg’s system below for you guys. Greg now spends most of his time on his house boat enjoying his retirement. So snippets about his system are few and far between.

Hi Ian,

“For your amusement, I have attached pictures of my system below. I have 2 15”s and a 4” compression driver per channel. My Sub is a DCD 18” mounted in my fireplace (blocked off). Everything is sealed, neither 15 is rolled off on the low end. The 18, and both 15’s all extent from the room cutoff at 13 Hz up to their respective roll of points of 80 Hz, 150 Hz and 750 Hz. The system uses linear phase crossovers and has no group delay. The Impulse response shows the alignment. The only reason there is a lift before the main spike is that the Sub has a much wider impulse: and that is what you see preceding the main spike.”

The thing is Greg’s system is a constant work in progress. On each occasion l’ve heard it the system has become progressively more complex.

I don’t know the reason for the new enclosures or details of the horn. It was made in Greg’s impressive workshop using a 3D printer. Last l heard Greg was Beta Testing the latest DEQX software which Greg said was a big improvement. No idea where DEQX is with that.

If l can glean any more on Greg’s system l will.

Ian

PS. I would be surprised if there isn’t a neat active solution for the 4367. I have asked the question.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks Ian,

Always nice to see what's cooking in the kitchen

Greg suggested the following for the 4367.

I’ve relayed it to the 4367 owner in Italy with some pointers on obtaining the woofer voltage drive using a Focusrite Scarlet USB interface. It’s up to him now.

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post384175

On paper the schematic above is a 3rd order low pass filter but the tech sheet voltage drive is closer 4th order LR -6 db 550 hertz and -24 db 1100 hertz. Measurements at the driver terminals are the most accurate way of measuring the voltage drive. That’s my educated guess.

From GT:

Ian,

I did not spend any time active on the 4367. However, his suggestion of direct driving the woofer and using the passive HF network is good. He could also drive both drivers directly with the crown. I would suggest a 10 db resistor pad on the HF. It will be too noisy to drive directly and a bit dangerous. Should be pretty easy to do.
    Sent from my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    Thanks.
    They need to chip in and buy Greg a better computer/camera!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks.
    They need to chip in and buy Greg a better computer/camera!
    And the drop outs!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I found many interesting points in the second one, including, but not limited to - the synergy of tubes and CDs, invest in a great woofer, his preference for wider dispersion. There was more...and yes, the dropouts were a bit annoying. His endorsement of DSP (to a degree) may nudge me toward a Mini DSP.

Finished the first, making my way through the second one. "Shiver me Timbers". I appreciate that he's got a sense of humor, struck me as one of those guys who is always down to business or doing something. I too, am leaning more toward a Mini DSP. It's nice to know he's on the time-alignment board and that there was a discussion of coax drivers. Shame those KEF speakers came up. Then again, so did Blose. Funny how they discussed "hot-rodding" a set of 901's, right down to changing the terrible components in both the crossover and the cabinets. Well, that's what makes a Bose a Blose. ...if you put all that work into a set of 901's, they'd no longer be Blose..

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    I found many interesting points in the second one, including, but not limited to - the synergy of tubes and CDs, invest in a great woofer, his preference for wider dispersion. There was more...and yes, the dropouts were a bit annoying. His endorsement of DSP (to a degree) may nudge me toward a Mini DSP.

I was surprised about the horns as well. First the 120 degree dispersion and how the Array was basically a "stock" horn and he would have preferred a wider pattern over the 80 x 80. Also about how the horizontal slot was "wrong" and how he has incorporated vanes in his diffraction slot to help even out the vertical pattern so it is as smooth as the horizontal.

Also with comparison's to the M2 and 4367 about how "harsh" the stock M2 electronics are compared to what could be used with the 4367.

A lot of good info in there.

Rob

Hi,

I'm glad that you all mentioned the 120deg horizontal dispersion of GT's custom printed horn ( after seeing the pic of his current system I was left wondering "where-had-I-seen-that-horn-profile-before??"

Here it is ( in brochure form )

It's gratifying to see GT revisiting some of these past ideas ( and not shying away from the diffraction slot simply because of the current "koolaid".

Attached Images Attached Images    

Hello Earl

Go to the first interview. 1:06 and keep going to 1:12. He has symmetrical 120 X 120! He shoots for 90-120 patterns. Plus the printing and vane description start at 1:04 in the second.

Rob

Thanks for those times Rob ( I hadn't yet gotten to those points ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Thanks for those times Rob ( I hadn't yet gotten to those points ).

+1

I actually lost interest and stopped watching. I'll give it another go.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1

I actually lost interest and stopped watching. I'll give it another go.
    I am only able to take just so much of the interviewer!

In the first interview I laughed because he didn't know any asymmetrical JBL models and had never heard of a 250.
    You may have noticed that Greg staged himself in front of his black 250ti for the second interview but said nothing about them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information