Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greg Timbers Interview

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I am only able to take just so much of the interviewer!

In the first interview I laughed because he didn't know any asymmetrical JBL models and had never heard of a 250.
    You may have noticed that Greg staged himself in front of his black 250ti for the second interview but said nothing about them.
    Yeah and he didn't asked about them? Go figure? They are even the same shape as his current speakers? They did come up when they were discussing the effectiveness of radius's vs diffraction with 2" being the minimum vs the 1 inch on the 250's but that's it.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I did notice (and was a bit chagrined by) Erin's lack of knowledge, or preparation for the interview, but I have followed all things JBL for longer than he's been alive, well, maybe not that long. Can't blame him though. Although the interviews provoked many questions on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    I did notice (and was a bit chagrined by) Erin's lack of knowledge, or preparation for the interview, but I have followed all things JBL for longer than he's been alive, well, maybe not that long. Can't blame him though. Although the interviews provoked many questions on my part.
    Yeah, in the first interview, Greg showed him his current speakers and that's where the interviewer asked how he came up with the asymmetrical design and Greg mentioned the 250.

Second interview the 250s are sitting right there the whole time.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yeah, in the first interview, Greg showed him his current speakers and that's where the interviewer asked how he came up with the asymmetrical design and Greg mentioned the 250.

You know thinking about it. We are probably the worst to judge on JBL knowledge. How many years have we been here talkin about JBL lore?

Is there anything we haven't discussed to death?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    +1

I actually lost interest and stopped watching. I'll give it another go.

Widget
    Have it playing in the background while you're doing something else, what I did. No way I could've just sat & listened to them both. Much of the material covered in the interviews went right over my laymen head, but I'd perk up when they got to talking about "this speaker vs that one" type of stuff.

I am only able to take just so much of the interviewer!

In the first interview I laughed because he didn't know any asymmetrical JBL models and had never heard of a 250.
    You may have noticed that Greg staged himself in front of his black 250ti for the second interview but said nothing about them.
    It's not just me then. I had a bit of a hard time with that dude too.

Yep, isn't that something? Although in the first interview, I thought Greg said he no longer had 250ti's?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You know thinking about it. We are probably the worst to judge on JBL knowledge. How many years have we been here talkin about JBL lore?

Is there anything we haven't discussed to death?

Rob
    Well, I know the 250's and even some of the 43xx models and I've only been lurking around here for a few years. Come to think of it, before I came on here, I knew the 250's, L150A's and L220's. I want to say I knew a whiff of the 250's, not entirely sure. So to put it in perspective, that dude is older than me and is running his own YouTube channel dedicated to audio. No excuse not to know better or as others have said, do his homework before interviewing a legend.

On a side note, it's too bad no one asked him about the 250ti vs the XPL200. Would've been cool if the UREI monitors were brought up in their coax discussion. I suppose one could argue that Greg did touch on them by saying he didn't really pay attention to products he wasn't involved with. They did touch on issues present with coax drivers, and perhaps that's why Greg hasn't bothered with them. Or did he?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

Well, I know the 250's and even some of the 43xx models and I've only been lurking around here for a few years. Come to think of it, before I came on here, I knew the 250's, L150A's and L220's. I want to say I knew a whiff of the 250's, not entirely sure. So to put it in perspective, that dude is older than me and is running his own YouTube channel dedicated to audio. No excuse not to know better or as others have said, do his homework before interviewing a legend.

On a side note, it's too bad no one asked him about the 250ti vs the XPL200. Would've been cool if the UREI monitors were brought up in their coax discussion. I suppose one could argue that Greg did touch on them by saying he didn't really pay attention to products he wasn't involved with. They did touch on issues present with coax drivers, and perhaps that's why Greg hasn't bothered with them. Or did he?
    I can see your point. We are primarily a vintage site and most the questions except for preference of 4343, 4345, 4355 were more focused on what's available now.

WRT prep work I did a search for Greg Timbers Interviews and there are plenty so yes he could have pulled them up and went trough them but he didn't.

Still good stuff though

Greg had a pair of prototype XPL 250's don't know if he still does.

There is a comparison between the 4315 and XPL-200 on the site https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...esigner-s-Post

He has one with Geedes I want to watch.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

I didn't realize there are more interviews with Greg out there, that's rad. I forgot all about Greg's thoughts on the 4315 vs XPL200! I do recall reading that at some point. As a former XPL200 owner, I concur about his assessment of the "fluffy" midbass, lack of kick from the 2214, needing to biamp and the killer midrange. The midrange presentation was my favorite part of those speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Interesting interview and I like the form that Erin provide the time to actually explore different topics. In a world where everything is 2-minute sound bites this is refreshing.

He has also done interviews with Sean Olive and Floyd Toole that I find very interesting. Well worth a listening.

It would be very interesting to find out what settings Mr. Timbers uses in the DSP for both the home brewed Everests and his S9900. I understand that he uses FIR filters but XO points and corrections would be very interesting to see.
    I will see what l can find out.
    I’m pleased you could see the positives and l agree completely. It was an informal chat.

Greg doesn’t mince words and gets straight to the point. I think that’s what came across in that discussion. There’s no magic. It’s about well designed drivers (the woofers) and making the right decisions about a system at different price points. Some systems are a surprise as it turns out.

The key point about the new horn is the vertical diffraction slot.

I also agree it’s fun watching the content like ants eating a scrap of food on the floor. They come from everywhere fighting over a scrap trying to get a word in.

On the crossover Greg is a beta tester of the new advanced 8 output model. I received an email from DEQX this week announcing the final release of beta product at US$6,995.00. The GUI is no where near ready according to Greg and it will be at least 6 months before any further updates. Wait for it. The MRRP will be a wallet burning US$15,000.00 for the model with X active and 8 outputs. The market for this thing is hi end exclusive loudspeakers using the DEQX platform.

Btw I’ve often had drop outs with Teams. I depends on a number of factors including the load on the network and the available bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    Kinda odd to knock Erin for not knowing about something that might have been new when he was three, but complete silence about Timbers’ mistakes about the dispersion pattern of the speakers he uses for heights. He originally claimed they were angled like the current Synthesis ceiling speakers, but later called them out as SCL-3, which is not.

Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    Kinda odd to knock Erin for not knowing about something that might have been new when he was three, but complete silence about Timbers’ mistakes about the dispersion pattern of the speakers he uses for heights. He originally claimed they were angled like the current Synthesis ceiling speakers, but later called them out as SCL-3, which is not.
    Don't make excuses for the unprofessional behavior of the interviewer.
    If you know anything about the subject of your interview, you owe it to yourself and your chosen role to know as much as you can. It would seriously be hard to even Google Greg and not find his affinity and responsibility for the L250—if not his own current and personal asymmetric design—had one been doing even a reasonable amount of homework. Then to the comment that you've never seen an asymmetrical speaker system would never have stuck out as such an ignorant statement.

Even when given a second chance in Part Two with the 250ti right next to Greg, it didn't come up at all. And I'm not just shocked as a 250ti owner, but rather stunned as someone interested in Greg Timbers by the apparent shallowness of the interviewer and his obvious lack of scholarship on his chosen subject. That's really a minimal expectation.

This is likely to have little effect on the situation in Gaza or Ukraine, but it is still irritating within our little microcosm here.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

You could ask Erin for your money back. ?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post

Barry.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post

Barry.
    Certainly a good point. I did get what I paid for.

I don't suffer know-it-alls with little knowledge very well! Possibly because I am one, too?

Certainly a good point. I did get what I paid for.

I don't suffer know-it-alls with little knowledge very well! Possibly because I am one, too?
    And how many years have you been here and didn't your farther leave you some JBL''s you still have and appreciate? It's all about perspective and like me your are vintage oriented.

You have someone who has measured many of the current systems and that is what he is focused on.

There was a lot of good info in both interviews. If he didn't take the time we wouldn't have it.

So what's the harm?

Rob ?

It’s amusing that while both Erin and Greg decided to keep it informal and see where the discussion went you guys have nothing more important than to pointlessly dissect it.

They both correspond privately. Erin is not a JBL groupie and that’s why Greg agrees to do live Vids with Erin even on a casual basis.

It’s almost as bizarre as what this interview reveals.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JxQ97Alg...CHokc99YxjYNYI

Thread Information