Thread: JBL L100A Century Speaker Polarity Question

JBL L100A Century Speaker Polarity Question

Hello,

I am putting together a project set of JBL L100A speakers. The cabinets came with all drivers and woofers disconnected. I'm assuming that I'd connect the green or white wires to the positive or red colored poles for each and the reverse (black wire to negative or black colored pole). I have though heard that this might not be correct. For instance, I've heard the black pole on the mid range driver is the positive so I'm assuming I should attach the green/white wire to this pole. Can anyone offer some simple advice? For each driver/woofer, which wire goes to which pole/terminal? I weirdly can't seem to find a simple answer online and there seems to be lots of talk about reverse polarity on the various l100 models.

Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by L100wicks View Post
    Hello,

I am putting together a project set of JBL L100A speakers. The cabinets came with all drivers and woofers disconnected. I'm assuming that I'd connect the green or white wires to the positive or red colored poles for each and the reverse (black wire to negative or black colored pole). I have though heard that this might not be correct. For instance, I've heard the black pole on the mid range driver is the positive so I'm assuming I should attach the green/white wire to this pole. Can anyone offer some simple advice? For each driver/woofer, which wire goes to which pole/terminal? I weirdly can't seem to find a simple answer online and there seems to be lots of talk about reverse polarity on the various l100 models.

Thanks, Dan
    When hooking up the factory crossover wiring follow the usual connection protocol with the solid-colored wire (green, white, yellow, red as appropriate) to the red terminal of each driver. The black wire (or sometimes green and black stripe, white and black stripe, etc) attaches to the black driver terminal. It's usually when you start going into DIY modifications that the wiring issue gets tricky.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    When hooking up the factory crossover wiring follow the usual connection protocol with the solid-colored wire (green, white, yellow, red as appropriate) to the red terminal of each driver. The black wire (or sometimes green and black stripe, white and black stripe, etc) attaches to the black driver terminal. It's usually when you start going into DIY modifications that the wiring issue gets tricky.
    I will reiterate this answer.

When the factory crossover is present...and correct...the black wire/black striped wire will connect to the black driver terminal.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information