Thread: 70's JBL L-Series History Timelines

70's JBL L-Series History Timelines

Hello folks, hope you are all well.

This is a question(s) for you JBL Historians, about the L-Series. As you all know, the L-Series had quite a few models.
    L-26/L-36/L-56/L-65, L-100/L-200/L-300, on and on.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the assumption that JBL didn't introduce all these numerous L-Models all at on time in historic date, did they? That there was a period of time, perhaps a year or two-etc, that models like the L-200 were introduced, but yet there was maybe no L-300 yet conceived?

I am of course aware of later A and B versions coming to market, but would be interesting to learn more than I know about such history.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thank you for this link!

By looking at the timelines for specific models, let's say the L-65 Jubal and L-300 Summit as examples, I get the impression then that JBL introduced such models initially, manufactured a specific number of such, and then at some later point in time again started further production of the very same models? But,

Of course with re-adjusted MSRP as time passed to reflect rising manufacture costs-inflation, and then later versions, correct?

I gather that JBL did not then re-introduce the exact same earlier versions of such models as the L-65 Jubal, and L-300 Summit, that in later years of production of specific models they then produced variations of such models, such as the L-65A, and B, L-300A and B, etc., correct?

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    Thank you for this link!

By looking at the timelines for specific models, let's say the L-65 Jubal and L-300 Summit as examples, I get the impression then that JBL introduced such models initially, manufactured a specific number of such, and then at some later point in time again started further production of the very same models?
    More likely they did not change or adjust the price lists annually, or this site just doesn't have all those records. You can also check the catalogs in the library which are sorted by year of publication.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Perhaps what I wrote earlier was somewhat confusing, even for myself as I read back what I wrote.

So, let me again ask some questions-observations which would lead to more logical-actual happenings at the time with JBL.

That just because a new year came, it didn't necessarily mean that JBL then dropped any specific model like their speakers were 3rd world made $99 Sanyo VHS Players bought from wherever.

They made runs of various models as required for whatever time decided by them. Maybe do a run of 200 pairs of Jubals, then stop, then 2 months later do another run. All the while cranking out 30 or more other models. For home or pro use.

Might I assume correctly though, that at some certain point in time, and that say an L-200 became a L-200A Model, JBL might have ceased any earlier versions but that didn't mean that earlier versions weren't still on the market shelves to be had, in some back storage rooms (overstock) that had not yet been sold?

Meaning as an example, I could've bought a brand new pair of Jubals in box, with 126A Drivers in 1978 somewhere.
    But of course at that given point in time where simply "price adjusted" per what a customer had to fork over for them at any given merchandiser on that day?

I might've paid $396/ea for my Jubals in 1974. In 1976, someone then bought the exact same fresh in the box speakers, but the price was then $496, or such?

I hope you folks haven't minded any of my writings, these sort of topics about JBL production is of great interest.

This kind or perspective on past production/marketplace dynamics is pretty darned nuanced. Likely this may be one path where you are on your own with finding answers.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    This kind or perspective on past production/marketplace dynamics is pretty darned nuanced. Likely this may be one path where you are on your own with finding answers.
    That's true. You essentially had to be a person on the floor to know how day to day JBL operations proceeded.

No doubt a person such as Mr. Greg Timbers could speak-write volumes.

Thread Information