Thread: JBL 044 Tweeter has a black cap

JBL 044 Tweeter has a black cap

Hello All,

This is my first post here and glad to be part of this wonderful community.

I want to acquire JBL L112 and one of the tweeter has a black dust cap. I have attached the pic for reference.

please let me know if this is ok and go ahead with the purchase. The speakers are in good condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FWIW, that's not a "dust cap", its the actual dome of the tweeter. Possible you're looking at normal discoloration of of the so-called aluminum coating on the dome. OR you're looking at the dacron dome itself and all the coating has flaked off. OR someone has swapped in a different diaphragm. All those things are seen on these drivers.

Good news is that the 044 is widely available on the used market, and a bad one shouldn't stop you buying an otherwise nice pair of L112.

For comparison, here is a picture of an 044 with the screen removed, showing some deterioration of the aluminum coating (the dome itself is a soft-dome)

It's difficult from looking at your pic to see just what condition the dome is in, looking through the screen combined with reflections, etc. I do notice what looks like rust or other corrosion around the edge of the screen as well as on the metal screw on the bottom. It's possible that whatever caused that corrosion also affected the aluminum coating on the dome. The screw in your picture looks like it has been removed at some point in the past and borderline-stripped while screwing it back in. That would seem to imply that the tweeters were removed at some point. If it's just an issue of the aluminum coating on the dome, I wouldn't worry much about it. It seems to me that the aluminum coating was more for show than anything. The 044 tweeter dome is similar to the 033 dome, but the 033 dome has no aluminum coating at all yet still sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    For comparison, here is a picture of an 044 with the screen removed, showing some deterioration of the aluminum coating (the dome itself is a soft-dome)

It's difficult from looking at your pic to see just what condition the dome is in, looking through the screen combined with reflections, etc. I do notice what looks like rust or other corrosion around the edge of the screen as well as on the metal screw on the bottom. It's possible that whatever caused that corrosion also affected the aluminum coating on the dome. The screw in your picture looks like it has been removed at some point in the past and borderline-stripped while screwing it back in. That would seem to imply that the tweeters were removed at some point. If it's just an issue of the aluminum coating on the dome, I wouldn't worry much about it. It seems to me that the aluminum coating was more for show than anything. The 044 tweeter dome is similar to the 033 dome, but the 033 dome has no aluminum coating at all yet still sounds great.
    Thanks a lot for the reply.It is comforting and i would go ahead and get this wonderful speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    FWIW, that's not a "dust cap", its the actual dome of the tweeter. Possible you're looking at normal discoloration of of the so-called aluminum coating on the dome. OR you're looking at the dacron dome itself and all the coating has flaked off. OR someone has swapped in a different diaphragm. All those things are seen on these drivers.

Good news is that the 044 is widely available on the used market, and a bad one shouldn't stop you buying an otherwise nice pair of L112.
    Thanks for reply,i will be getting this wonderful speakers home soon.I have auditioned them and these are one wonderful speakers.

Thread Information