Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you Get my Spam?

Did you Get my Spam?

I just used the mass mailing feature of Vbulletin to make a last appeal for our L100 raffle. As I said in the email, it is not my intent to make a habit of these mailings. Since this was the first time it has been done in the nearly five year exisitence of our site, I hope that it is recognized that it has not previously been abused nor is it intended to be in the future.

Regardless, I am just curious on whether this worked. Most email providers and mail clients now employ some type of spam filter. I was wondering if these filters consider our mass mailing as spam or whether they are letting it through. Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback on whether this worked. If you didn't reveive the message, I have copied it below.

<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD dir=ltr>To the Lansing Heritage Forum Members

I hope you don?t mind this email as part of our fund raising efforts. It is not my intent to spam our members. This is the first time that a mass mailing has been made in the four years that our forum and site has existed and this will not become a habit. We're making a final drive towards meeting our fundraising goal of $3,000 for Project May:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/projectmay/pmintro.htm

These funds will allow us to complete our design and measurement phase and purchase materials for the system fabrication. All labor is being contributed free of charge. To date, we have raised approximately $1,800 through our L100 raffle here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/projectmay/raffle/raffleintro.htm

To everyone that has participated, you have my profound thanks. To those that have not, I would like to ask you to take this opportunity to consider contributing. As has been recently mentioned we are donating a minimum of 15% of what we raise to relief efforts for victims of the East Asia Tsunami. We have already made a $500 contribution to Sarvodaya USA, a Sri Lankan charity.

All new payments will still result in you being issued one raffle ticket for every $5 in contributions for the spectacularly restored L100?s. Payments can be made here (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/projectmay/raffle/rules.htm

Thank you for your indulgence in considering this fundraising request, and again, my thanks to those that have already contributed.

Regards
    Don McRitchie
    Webmaster
    Lansing Heritage Website
    http://www.audioheritage.org

Thanks
    Don

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT>var doc = documentvar form = document.formvar form1 = document.form1var form2 = document.form2var errno = 0arg=window.location.search;//AKif (!refreshing) { if (arg.length > 6 && arg.substring(0, 7) == 'bgcolor') color(arg.substring(8, arg.length)) f = eval('parent.' + self.name + 'Init') if (f) f()}</SCRIPT>

RIP 2009
    'Came through just fine for me - SBC/Yahoo didn't flag it.

John

2pair
    Shaw let it through as well...
    ...funny, I was just asking in another thread how the raffle was going...

It came into AOL without any problems and ;

FWIW - I get virtually no Spam . Maybe 3 or 4 a week max .

As a result - I believe that AOL has very effective Spam filters since I have zero filters installed on this computer .

<> Earl K

Ok with Verizon

The Verizon spam filters didn't block it...

jblnut

Sarvodaya USA

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    We have already made a $500 contribution to Sarvodaya USA, a Sri Lankan charity.

Hey, Don...

They look quite region-specific - great. However, I can't find any financials on them.

Following is email text and a chart I compiled analyzing a few major charitable organizations. Lower percentages = more money going to the needy.

---------------------

The tsunami has heightened the interest in charitable giving. Many options exist, some of which are legacy (established) organizations and others are more contemporary (new, and event-specific). In the attached, I analyze the proportion of monies that are consumed by the charitable enterprise and therefore do not reach those in-need (i.e., capital efficiency). While there are many ways to break this down, it is easiest and most commonly done by calculating the percentage of total revenues (all sources) that go to pay management fees and to pay total support costs.

The attached spreadsheet provides my skeletal analysis of a few of the legacy foundations(alphabetic order). New, or event-specific foundations are excluded because they characteristically do not have any track record nor available financials, making their "capital efficiency" impossible to evaluate. I found this useful in directing my giving - I hope it will be useful for you too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

One of my Spam filters must have zapped it. I have several and I rarely get any spam.

All of the usual Lansing Heritage stuff gets through, but not this mass mailing.

Widget

I don't think it was sent to you. The vbulletin mailing feature is actually quite kewl. You can set an almost infinite array of filters to develop the final mailing list. For this run, I exempted the Project May Steering Committee and anyone who has not been on the forum in the last six months. I figure if someone has been away that long, they will not be coming back.

Don

Don feels the presence of a post in the thread.....he looks around, but there's nothing there. "WHAT WAS THAT!!!" Don shouts as hears movement. He spins around, but there is only darkness and silence. A chill runs down Don's spine as he realizes that the thread has been haunted by the Phantom Giskard - post at 3:58, deleted at 4:00. Don gets out his Ouija Board and calls Bo and Widget to his side. Together we call upon the Great Spirit Giskard "SPEAK TO US........"

Don

Getting a bit cold up there in Winnipeg?

Widget

...the Phantom Giskard - post at 3:58, deleted at 4:00.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I exempted anyone who has not been on the forum in the last six months. I figure if someone has been away that long, they will not be coming back.
    SPAM them deadbeats. The raffle will bring them back!

It's what SPAM is for....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Getting a bit cold up there in Winnipeg?

Widget
    Current Temperature = -18 F (-28C)
    Forcast Low This Evening = -35 F (-37C)
    Forcast Wind Chill This Evening = -62 F (-52C)

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's a Winnipeg heat wave.

Don

Good God!

My wife and I have been whimpering here in SF because it got down to +45 F (+7 C). Of course that is the temperature in our home as we live in a converted warehouse with an open vented skylight and no heat.

Widget

Mark Twain - not!

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's a Winnipeg heat wave.
    At least it's a dry heat...

"The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer in San Francisco..."

Although Mark Twain never said it.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information