Thread: Stereophile reviews the JBL 4367, finally

Stereophile reviews the JBL 4367, finally

These have been my main speakers since 2016, so I feel like I have been waiting for this review for forever. I am curios why they are doing a review now, anyone have some contacts at Harmon to ask why?
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...or-loudspeaker

Wow it’s your 1st post. Welcome.

The reviewer goes on and on about how the review came about. It was a reasonable review.

Then you can read the OMA Fleetwood loudspeaker review in the same issue which is glowing. In the scheme of things both systems are appealing to the same kind of hifi addict.

My take on both reviews is that the magazine curves as we call them in the trade tell you sweet FA about the subjective abilities of a loudspeaker to convey life like HiFi sound reproduction period. That’s always been the case btw. The measurements of the Wilson hi end loudspeaker elsewhere is l
    are like dog’s breakfast for the asking price of US$150,000. But it’s highly esteemed. Go figure.

It’s a bit like the Fashion industry. When your on trend your on. When your not who are you?….Lol. So each brand takes it in turns of stirring up interest in this niche luxury industry.

Mean while the loudspeaker - audio amateurs are turning over millions each second on EBay and other specialty hifi auction sites. This incidentally links back to the introduction of the 4367. Legacy systems like Altec and JBL have never been more highly coveted than they are right now.

I thought that it was very good of them to mention that although the speakers have high sensitivity, they may not be ideal candidates for tube equipment. I don't ever recall seeing this recommendation before from them for a speaker other than to note speakers of low sensitivity.

HiFi and the real world

Colleagues;

1. I wish to thank the Stereophile team for the decent review of a (OMG) JBL speaker

2.I find Speaker reviews very much of the huh?? category, mostly "It does not Follow" that I found written in the margins of my English papers in college. I could never understand the BBC dip either. either a loudspeaker is accurate, or it is not accurate no matter how nice it sounds.

3. To your point Ian, the only reason that I can see why audiophooles like a certain brand from Salt Lake City is because they look like Darth Vader's offspring and the cost as much as a European vacation. And let us not forget the speaker CABLES which are thicker than the lines which tethered the boat I was assigned to to the pier when I was in the Navy. Oh and the CABLES must be held of the the floor by miniature telephone poles made of Brazilian Unobtainian Wood. (1000 dollars each please )

When i left the consumer HI-Fi industry the Audiophooles were putting bricks on top of amplifiers and telling us how much better they sounded. Huh??

Well colleagues there is my rant . I thought that Hi-Fi meant faithful to the original, not smeared with snake oil.

I also would like to welcome Troy to the club.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Here is a proper review done with a modern measuring rig, a Klippel.

By using the market accepted state-of-the-art measuring system (USD +200k) and meaningful standards (ANSI/CTA-2034-A R-2020) it is as close to objective we can expect today.

JBL 4367 Studio Monitor Speaker Review (erinsaudiocorner.com)

He also did the M2's a while back. (and many others)

JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor (erinsaudiocorner.com)

Many of the available reviews mainly describe "feelings" which can be important in its own right, but not necessarily as a good tool to compare speakers.....

Here is another site that uses the same high quality measuring system for speakers. -And they post objective reviews of electronics based upon state-of-the-art measuring data from Audio Precision analyzers (USD +30k), same stuff as the best manufacturers use.

Articles, Reviews and Measurements of Audio Products | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Enjoy.
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

The "suck-out" at ~700 Hz is classic of the big JBL 2 and 3-way horn systems and gives the voices that "veiled" effect. The exponential horns also have other anomolies. This is the reason I got away from the horns and use the 2251J.

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Here is a proper review done with a modern measuring rig, a Klippel.

By using the market accepted state-of-the-art measuring system (USD +200k) and meaningful standards (ANSI/CTA-2034-A R-2020) it is as close to objective we can expect today.

JBL 4367 Studio Monitor Speaker Review (erinsaudiocorner.com)

He also did the M2's a while back. (and many others)

JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor (erinsaudiocorner.com)

Enjoy.
    From Greg Timbers “I have spoken with Erin and will be joining him on an episode of his channel one day soon.”

Sure is nice to see it big on the cover of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    From Greg Timbers “I have spoken with Erin and will be joining him on an episode of his channel one day soon.”
    Interesting, please report back if you see it.

Thanks,
    Scott

Thread Information