Thread: Reconing 2226JPL to 136HS or 1500GTI

Reconing 2226JPL to 136HS or 1500GTI

Hi,

I had bad luck and bought a pair of 4648A with 2x 15" 2226JPL, which have heavily stressed and deformed spiders.
    I like to recone the 2226JPL and wonder which alternative and fitting recone set works better for active subwoofer usage with lower tuning frequency.
    Some time ago I sold my 136HS. Based on my own measurements it had a higher Mms and a slightly lower voice coil inductance.
    Is a 136HS recone kit still available in the US or can be combined by single components?
    The 1500GTI may be an alternative to it. Is íts recone kit available and preferrable?
    Any comments and experiences?
    Im looking for something closer to a classic 2235H, but without the progressive suspension and the VC still hitting the back plate at very low frequencies.

Cheers,

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by old-fashioned View Post
    Hi,

I had bad luck and bought a pair of 4648A with 2x 15" 2226JPL, which have heavily stressed and deformed spiders.
    I like to recone the 2226JPL and wonder which alternative and fitting recone set works better for active subwoofer usage with lower tuning frequency.
    Some time ago I sold my 136HS. Based on my own measurements it had a higher Mms and a slightly lower voice coil inductance.
    Is a 136HS recone kit still available in the US or can be combined by single components?
    The 1500GTI may be an alternative to it. Is Ã*ts recone kit available and preferrable?
    Any comments and experiences?
    Im looking for something closer to a classic 2235H, but without the progressive suspension and the VC still hitting the back plate at very low frequencies.

Cheers,

Andreas
    A couple things...

136HS recone kit, SFG motor, is not compatible with 2226/1500GTI, VGC, frame/motor. That said...

It's possible to make a reproduction recone kit that can make your 2226 frame/motors to get a very close replication of the 2235H or 136HS that would work well for active subwoofer duty. What you don't want is a foam surround that will rot in 10 years. The 2235H did not hit the back plate...it's the mass ring hitting the pole piece on over excursion. That issue can be avoided. If you'd like more information, please send me a PM.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Please clean up your PM inbox! ;-)

Hi Ken,

any reply?

Cheers,
    Andreas

Thread Information