Thread: mirrored tweeter pair or not?

mirrored tweeter pair or not?

I'm looking to buy a pair of vintage JBL C-series speakers from the 1950s, with the bass and tweeter 2-way configuration.
    So help me choose between the two speaker units.
    Now, one of them has a tweeter on the right and one on the left, namely, a mirrored pair.
    The other one has the tweeter only on the right, so both tweeters on the right top side.
    Some say there is little sonic difference between the two, but I doubt it. Cosmetically, the mirrored pair looks better.
    What do you think?

I doubt too. However, if you sit in the sweet spot when listening, boxes toed in, with the same path length from tweeters to your ears, then the problem might not be one.

The mirrored pair looking better, therefore make both mirrored and enjoy as per the above.

Richard

I would go with mirrored so the polar response will match and not be asymmetrical at the listening position.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

If by C-series you are referring to the cabinet designation, then most of those were designed for several different loads and even may have adapters covering tweeter mounts so that you can mirror-image them. Best case it's a small mod to the baffle. My C37s are so old they were from a mono system but still allow for swapping the 075 from side to side.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

My vote is for the mirrored pair. For the toe in problem as mentioned by RMC and Robh but also for the OCD within me who appreciates symmetry.

Thread Information