Thread: M2 Files for Crown CDI Amplifier

M2 Files for Crown CDI Amplifier

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Crown CDI 2x1200 amps for my M2 clones. I can't seem to find any files to download for the M2 tuning. I can only see the files for the DCI and iTech models. Do the DCI files work with the CDI series?

The M2 speaker tunings available on the JBLPro website work on the CDI Drivecore 2|1200. Please note that the old CDI amplifiers are still available and they won't run the M2 speaker tuning.

This is all that I see, nothing for the CDI.

"7 Series and M2 Crown DCi Tuning" is what you download for your CDi amplifier.
    The folks at the speaker division of JBLPro might not know or care that the CDi exists. They know about the DCi because the JBL Synthesis SDA amplifier is a DCi with a different faceplate.
    The CDi drivecore was developed after the DCi. The computer aspect of the CDi amplifier is properly set up to use the M2 speaker tuning file. And the user interface is much better on the CDi - it has good front panel input.

I did email them with this question and this was my answer. I just found it in my junk folder

Hello Robert,

Unfortunately the M2 was only tuned with the DCI and I-tech HD amplifiers so we do not have tunings for the CDI drivecore series. The M2 tunings includes custom FIR coefficients, and unfortunately the CDI Drivecore series does not have that functionality.

This came from Harman Pro Technical support.

Maybe some other folks who have used the CDi to drive M2s can jump on here to verify. I used a 4|1200 and a 4|600 on my M2s, even tried a 4|300. (I preferred the 4|600) I have since changed to using a BSS Blu-50 for DSP and Crown Studio Reference I amps for power. This got me away from fan noise and also brought the benefit of a very high s/n ratio in the amps. Anyway, it's been a while since I used the CDi with speaker tunings. But I'd be willing to connect one into a network and load the M2 tuning into it to show you that it works. Also, check out the CDi Drivecore owners manual at Crownaudio.com. Page 41 has some screen shots of loading speaker tunings through audio architect. One screen shot shows the AM7315/95 as the speaker model for speaker tuning. We didn't work with just some of the JBL speaker models that use speaker tunings, they're all in there. Well, all the speakers that existed at that time -- and the M2 is included. I'm hoping you get some confidence that the CDi will work with the M2.

Did you work for Crown? I see you are from Elkhart?

I'll keep the CDI amplifiers on my list along with the DCI. The CDI amps seem to be priced a little lower, however the prices are all over the place.

Yes, I did work at Crown. That was quite a place.
    The CDi amp was intended to be a lower feature / lower cost amplifier for installed sound applications. The little brother to the DCi. In a classic case of scope creep, features kept growing on the CDi. Unless your network utilizes Dante, a home system won't know the difference between the two amps. Plus, as I said earlier, the user interface is much better on the CDi. I recommend getting a model that has Harman's proprietary "Blu" network. It makes connectivity super easy, sort of future-proofs the system. It allows for the BSS Blu-USB which is a dandy little interface.

Thanks, the pair of CDI amps that I am looking at don't have Blu-Link, I think I will hold off on them. I'm also dealing on a 4x1200 DCI with Dante.

Thread Information