Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4520 question

JBL 4520 question

I got to thinking about the JBL 4520 tonight and had a couple questions. What driver was it that was recommended for the JBL 4520? I'm thinking it was a driver made by Pyle, but I cannot remember which one.Also where can I find the plans to build them if I cannot find any for purchase online at a reasonable price?

Hi Tube Radio,

Drivers for 4520 were not from Pyle. They were JBL, initially 2205 and later added the E140. More recently 2225 was added to the list.

There's very little official plans for these boxes. JBL probably didn't want people to copy their bass horn cabs. A number of people have nevertheless tried and did copy those with more or less success in some cases. They're not all great since its a big job.

I have 2 or 3 of this type of plans from official and reliable sources. I don't charge a dime for one, and don't push selling. But you gotta be really serious about this, i don't want to spend my time if you're just looking or thinking about those. So find the proper woofers first and when you get them then we can talk about specific plans. Regards,

Richard

P.S. I hope you do realize these are NOT subwoofer boxes, but rather sound reinforcement enclosures with some response amplitude in the bass range in oder to provide punchy bass, not very deep one.
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

I seem to remember someone on the forums here a few years ago using a Pyle or Pyle Pro 15" 500 watt woofer in these cabinets and getting the same or better results as the proper JBL woofer.

Tube Radio,

I don't remember seeing the Pyle thread or post you refer to.

To be honest i don't hang around with Pyle and Pyramid type speakers. This is low-cost, so so quality China stuff. Plus i can't recall seeing a set of specs and T/S parameters from them, while looking at a model someone else tried without success it seemed, never mind getting a response or impedance curve for crossover purpose.

There's nothing wrong in having a low budget or wanting to save money, i can understand this. But there's a limit on how low one can go in order to get acceptable performance and tech data. When money matters there's other brands/models to consider, e.g. Peavey, Eminence, SB Acoustics, Dayton, Selenium (for what's left of it), etc. In my view, though not high-class, drivers from those manufacturers are probably better quality than Pyle & Pyramid...

Moreover, not all drivers are a proper fit for these rear-loaded folded horn, since the cavity housing the two 15" for the rear wave is pretty small. i measured it and posted before based on the plans and as i recall it was about 1.9 cu. ft. for two 15". Hence the low driver Qts for these.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

My bad I was wrong.It was a Dayton Audio woofer.Specifically this one.https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...034?quantity=1

Hello T.R.

When you say say “same or better results”, what specifically do you mean? Better in what way?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The Dayton Audio driver used is found in this topic. Also the cabinet is slightly different as well so am not sure how these would work in a stock cabinet. https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...hlight=PA380-8That said would there be a modern currently produced JBL driver that will work good with these horns?Or maybe I should try any one of the plans for the 18" scoopers?

Hi TR

OK but what are you looking to improve? Do you want to use them as the original design intended?

2226’s are current and would work fine in them. There are others for sure. What you want to do with them is going to decide what if any driver is suitable.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The goal would be to have them produce whatever bass they are capable of.Now if I were to place four cabinets side by side would that be of any benefit far as the lower bass is concerned?Also would putting two upside down side by side and two on top side by side so that the horn mouths are together be any better than putting them all side by side or would it be the same?If I got the 16 ohm version I could parallel two cabs for a 4 ohm load and parallel the other two cabs and I could then use one amp.I'd use a QSC 2450A amp to power them

Tube Radio,

RE post # 5

I had a quick look at the Dayton PA 380 woofer and it appeared to be good value (price vs specs offered).

I compared it quickly with JBL 2225H and a number of specs are comparable or close. For $135. ($121. when buying 4) its certainly not a rip-off. Plus it seems to come with a real gasket, not those tiny tubes JBL gave or the thin cardboard molding style "gasket" i got with the 2214H (an insult, i never used).

In terms of cone travel (Xmax) the Dayton and JBL 2225 have the same capability. But the latter also has an Xlim (limit before damage) of 11 mm. This number is unknown for the Dayton. I mention this because countless woofers were abused in this type of cab, mostly used in discos and overpowered in the LF. Depending on your intended use, i would be somewhat prudent about beating the crap out of them.

Dayton probably saved on cost by having them made in China (like all the rest), and not having a cast frame. The stamped frame used shows having a number of reinforcements for rigidity and preventing warping, so that's ok. Nonetheless they seem to be well made for the price tag.

Not the dream LF driver, but for $121. each to load your cabs with acceptable woofers i'd say its a good deal.

Richard