Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jbl 4343 clone

Trust me, the 4345 does not need a lot of volume/level to let you feel the bass. That is the particular advantage of the 18-inch woofer. The previous owner of my pair called them "The Velvet Hammer" and they don't even need more power to do what they do so well, which is to fill the room (any room) with the full audio spectrum. My daughter's boyfriend is a classically trained bass player who has recorded in the Jazz genre. He says listening to the 4345 is the first time he's ever heard music that really represented the live performance, especially in those quiet passages.

Whatever you choose, don't overlook what an equalizer can do for the part of the spectrum you can't hear at low volume. It's not the speakers' fault, it's your ears and your brain!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

thank you very much for your advice and I also believe that in some cases the equalizer is useful even if purists or audiophiles say the opposite with age and age the hearing decreases thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gusss View Post
    thank you christ for your advice, the only thing that stops me from building the 4345 is the problem of listening volumes, I would not like to have a good listening I have to increase the volume exaggeratedly to make them give a good sound, I have already built two speakers with 2226h / 2440/2390/077 the problem was that to have a good sound I had to increase the volume a lot and I would like not to repeat this problem for your experience, advise me?
    With the 2245 you’ll be able to get better bass at any level that with a 2235. I find even at low levels the 2245 is really good, you really don’t need a lot of power. The only thing you have to be aware of is all the trade offs you’ll need to deal with considering your room size.

• Get the 2245 up off the floor
    • The 2245 does not like to be in a corner i.e. it is better off the walls
    • Narrow or wide cabinet
    • How many ports

The cabinet in the picture is about a narrow as you can get with a 2245 at 25 inches, it is 10 cubic feet so 22” deep and to the top of the box 45 inches. I originally had a 2397/2446 on top so I needed the depth hence the 10-foot cubic cabinet.

Name:  JBL 4345.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  36.6 KB

I combined the 2245 with the 2122/2123 in one cabinet, as I would never run a 2245 with out either. The top is flexible and allows whatever CD/Horn combination you want.

I’ve run it with the following:
    • 2397/2446 – JBL 3155 xover
    • 2380a/2446 – JBL 3155 xover
    • 2311/2446 – JBL 3155 xover
    • 2307/TAD 2002 & 2123 – JBL 4344 MKII xover
    • 2307/TAD 2002 & 2122 – JBL 3145 xover

Note: All my crossovers are in external boxes.

So, my advice if I was doing this again with your room size in mind.
    • Go with the 2245 you won’t regret it
    • 8 cubic foot cabinet tuned to 32 Hz
    • Low & wide cabinet with 3 ports on the side of the 2245
    • Keep all crossovers external and both circuits in a single box – why make two boxes when one will do

Of course YMMV

congratulations Christo really nice job, and thank you very much for your advice I will follow

Excellent. That is exactly what l did before settling on a particular configuration.

a couple of months ago I found in this forum the detailed construction plans of the 4345 now they are gone, can anyone tell me where to find them? I don't know if the seller still has the 2245s available but if he has them I buy them and in the meantime I would like to download the drawings of the construction plans of the 4345s

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Trust me, the 4345 does not need a lot of volume/level to let you feel the bass. That is the particular advantage of the 18-inch woofer. The previous owner of my pair called them "The Velvet Hammer" and they don't even need more power to do what they do so well, which is to fill the room (any room) with the full audio spectrum. My daughter's boyfriend is a classically trained bass player who has recorded in the Jazz genre. He says listening to the 4345 is the first time he's ever heard music that really represented the live performance, especially in those quiet passages.

Whatever you choose, don't overlook what an equalizer can do for the part of the spectrum you can't hear at low volume. It's not the speakers' fault, it's your ears and your brain!
    🟢 Dear friend! I'm very inclined to run a project like this JBL 4345. My fear is not being able to buy the drivers or some baskets for the recon kit

https://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/4345-e.html

Quote Originally Posted by SilvioNovais View Post
    �� Dear friend! I'm very inclined to run a project like this JBL 4345. My fear is not being able to buy the drivers or some baskets for the recon kit

https://audio-database.com/JBL/speaker/4345-e.html

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Loudspeaker-2.htm

Please read this diy published equivalent of the JBL 4343-4344.
    All the parts are modern drivers. It’s been designed and tested and it works.

I have looked at this design and l believe it to be an excellent modern day version of those four way JBL systems. Possibly better in some respects. There are two other versions on this website including an 18 inch woofer version.

At this late stage JBL has all but stopped supporting it’s legacy loudspeaker systems replacement parts. Some diaphragms ect are still available but the majority of recone kits are now after market from OEM parts manufacturers.

These parts are not always exactly to the JBL specifications.

Quality recone technicians/ driver re builders such as Upland Speaker Repairs modify the after market recone kits to match the JBL specifications. (Worth the wait if you want original performance)

So you have a choice.

The day is going to come when people will be building clones with alternative drivers. That’s is not that far away l will be making further references to those Troels designs as time marches on. I have been in touch with Troels and expressed positive feedback. In time l would personally prefer budding clone builders enjoy an equivalent JBL design as a reminder and a mark of respect to the JBL legacy than see it fade away. Troels has advised the JBL 4345 was his inspiration of The Loudspeaker 1 project.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Loudspeaker.htm

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Loudspeaker-2.htm

Please read this diy published equivalent of the JBL 4343-4344.
    All the parts are modern drivers. It’s been designed and tested and it works.

I have looked at this design and l believe it to be an excellent modern day version of those four way JBL systems. Possibly better in some respects. There are two other versions on this website including an 18 inch woofer version.

At this late stage JBL has all but stopped supporting it’s legacy loudspeaker systems replacement parts. Some diaphragms ect are still available but the majority of recone kits are now after market from OEM parts manufacturers.

These parts are not always exactly to the JBL specifications.

Quality recone technicians/ driver re builders such as Upland Speaker Repairs modify the after market recone kits to match the JBL specifications. (Worth the wait if you want original performance)

So you have a choice.

The day is going to come when people will be building clones with alternative drivers. That’s is not that far away l will be making further references to those Troels designs as time marches on. I have been in touch with Troels and expressed positive feedback. In time l would personally prefer budding clone builders enjoy an equivalent JBL design as a reminder and a mark of respect to the JBL legacy than see it fade away. Troels has advised the JBL 4345 was his inspiration of The Loudspeaker 1 project.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/The-Loudspeaker.htm

Ian
    I believe my search has come to an end. I really enjoyed The Loudspeaker 1.

Thread Information