Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box and Tweeter recos for 4 Way Build: 2245J (Mid) + 2202H (Low Mid) + 2225H (Low)

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all the comments.

Quite satisfying to read up and the comments lead me down a rabbit hole to further my knowledge on crossovers and drivers in general.

Here’s a measurement of the drivers in rew.

Name:  0-02-06-1e7217a2c7292a64ab926a70a1611022529a730b016acc21bbae42b95db95fe8_1c6da9efa986a6.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  124.2 KB

As you can see I have a horrible room hahahaha

Padded down the hf drivers to 9db and had the Dirac room correction have at it.

I initially started with the thought of crossing over the HF to 600hz on some misguided notion that this will give me a “horn-y” sound but after measuring and reading your recommendations, it seems that blindly following an arbitrary number as a goal won’t make a speaker sound good at all.

Everything needs to be designed around the limitations of the driver. Obvious I know, but the minidsp gave me false confidence that I can “force” drivers to just about do anyting. I attempted that, and it theory yes you can get decent results, but that’s about it — it just sounds decent.

Dont get me wrong, this is easily the closest I got to the sound in my head, coming from bookshelves and a Klipsch Heresy.

So now I’m learning to measure so I can better predict my next build.

Definitely going to be building a new speaker with my Dad this time with data and will use the minidsp as “salt and pepper” so to speak.

As of now I’m having a blast just experimenting with filters and crossover orders with the minidsp, as I dont even approach 90db volume in playback I can experiment with 1st order crossovers without fear of blowing out a driver.

Currently underlapping the two drivers with a HP 6db/Octave at around 1800hz and the LP is at 600hz 1st order.

This seems to sound better in terms of imaging in my head, even with a 3 octave underlap and I dunno why yet. The deficiencies of the crossover underlap are then “treated” by Dirac live. Again, it sounds decent but a lot of work can be done to approach good.

Any recommendations on crossover slopes and crossover points?

For my current 2 way?

I think I did a combination of BW18db and BW12db and also got decent results.

Again Thanks for the replies, I love nerding out on the info you guys are throwing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by mark214 View Post
    Love that horn and the other horns on Joseph Crowe's site
    He's also very responsive to after market support!

He's doing really good work!

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi RMC,

Interestingly, if You try to simulate the 2202H FR response using 20Lit and 50 Lit sealed box, the result would differ very small, just a few Hertz in LF section lower then 100Hz, so using 2235 driver up to 400~500Hz would neglect such "problem". So if the total box size is a problem, smaller sealed box for 2202H driver can be applied. I would suggest using a piece of 'plastic' pipe (diameter about 32cm) filled with absorber foam as an acceptable material for the sealed box mounted between front and rear baffles.

Regards
    Ivica
    Thanks! This helps a lot in minimizing the footprint of the next build

Quote Originally Posted by manley View Post
    Hallo

You have probably considered this, but if you have the space, why not go all the way and make a set of JBL 4355? Or a JBL 4355 in a cabinet inspired by Westlake speakers if you are keen on the Yuichi Horn
    You almost have all the drivers.

2245J
    2202H
    2225H

you only need

1 pcs 2225 (2pcs 2235H)
    1 pcs 2405

if it was me, I will add the Ultra high (JBL 2405) anyway. That just add the extra top

If you still what to go the way you have been starting with,
    then there is a thread here in this forum there is called JBL 4355 minus one woofer (as I recall) you can read, I think there will be a lot of good information in there for you.
    Because if you only has room for one woofer, then I think you will have too much high compare to the low end.

I also have seen a thread here in this forum when someone what to change the two 2235H in the 4355 to two 2225H but can't find it.

BR
    Manley

Now this comment lead me down a rabbit hole on the jbl monitor models! Now rethinking about going after another horn wave guide since I can optimise driver-Comp Driver integration better if I let go of the notion of having the 2445j cross too low.

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Ivica,

Thanks for the input. I have not modeled the 2202 but you seem to have. So i'll take your 2202 cab size info as worthy as cash money. In my post i simply used the volume that JBL has taken for 2202 in 4350/4355, seemed reasonable at 45 liters or so.

I'm glad to learn, and the OP will be glad to know, that he may be able to get away with a 20 liter sub box, therefore gaining 25 liters of space in his cabinet. I did think that it might be tight for him with his max dimensions.

Regards,

Richard
    From my current measurements in which i just let the space dictate the final speaker size to middling results, I now have a newfound respect for manufacturer recos on size hahaha. Will have to convince the wife on the space requirements (which is a harder task than speaker building IMHO hahaha)

Made me think of just cloning a 43xx with a 12" mid bass

Quote Originally Posted by manley View Post
    Hallo

You have probably considered this, but if you have the space, why not go all the way and make a set of JBL 4355? Or a JBL 4355 in a cabinet inspired by Westlake speakers if you are keen on the Yuichi Horn
    You almost have all the drivers.

2245J
    2202H
    2225H

you only need

1 pcs 2225 (2pcs 2235H)
    1 pcs 2405

if it was me, I will add the Ultra high (JBL 2405) anyway. That just add the extra top

If you still what to go the way you have been starting with,
    then there is a thread here in this forum there is called JBL 4355 minus one woofer (as I recall) you can read, I think there will be a lot of good information in there for you.
    Because if you only has room for one woofer, then I think you will have too much high compare to the low end.

I also have seen a thread here in this forum when someone what to change the two 2235H in the 4355 to two 2225H but can't find it.

BR
    Manley

This reply made me think of just cloning a 43xx monitor but with a 12" midbass instead of the usal 10" hahaha

Or an L220 Oracle with 12" Midbass

Seems like I can also just do a 4344 Clone

Made me think because Im thinking that going for a wider horn isn't helping the imaging capabilities of my current build due to a smaller room, and actually limiting dispersion may help in imaging.

Of course, this is all hypothetical and theoretical in my head hahaha

Thread Information