Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all the comments.

Quite satisfying to read up and the comments lead me down a rabbit hole to further my knowledge on crossovers and drivers in general.

Here’s a measurement of the drivers in rew.

Name:  0-02-06-1e7217a2c7292a64ab926a70a1611022529a730b016acc21bbae42b95db95fe8_1c6da9efa986a6.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  124.2 KB

As you can see I have a horrible room hahahaha

Padded down the hf drivers to 9db and had the Dirac room correction have at it.

I initially started with the thought of crossing over the HF to 600hz on some misguided notion that this will give me a “horn-y” sound but after measuring and reading your recommendations, it seems that blindly following an arbitrary number as a goal won’t make a speaker sound good at all.

Everything needs to be designed around the limitations of the driver. Obvious I know, but the minidsp gave me false confidence that I can “force” drivers to just about do anyting. I attempted that, and it theory yes you can get decent results, but that’s about it — it just sounds decent.

Dont get me wrong, this is easily the closest I got to the sound in my head, coming from bookshelves and a Klipsch Heresy.

So now I’m learning to measure so I can better predict my next build.

Definitely going to be building a new speaker with my Dad this time with data and will use the minidsp as “salt and pepper” so to speak.

As of now I’m having a blast just experimenting with filters and crossover orders with the minidsp, as I dont even approach 90db volume in playback I can experiment with 1st order crossovers without fear of blowing out a driver.

Currently underlapping the two drivers with a HP 6db/Octave at around 1800hz and the LP is at 600hz 1st order.

This seems to sound better in terms of imaging in my head, even with a 3 octave underlap and I dunno why yet. The deficiencies of the crossover underlap are then “treated” by Dirac live. Again, it sounds decent but a lot of work can be done to approach good.

Any recommendations on crossover slopes and crossover points?

For my current 2 way?

I think I did a combination of BW18db and BW12db and also got decent results.

Again Thanks for the replies, I love nerding out on the info you guys are throwing at me.