Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edgewound / Upland Loudspeaker MIA?

Edgewound / Upland Loudspeaker MIA?

I just thought I'd reach out to the forum to see if anyone may have a personal relationship with Ken that might be able to reach out to him. I sent him some speakers to have some work done awhile back, and as of a month ago, he stopped returning my calls (emails were always a little hit and miss, but no response there either).

I'd appreciate any update anyone can provide. Hopefully there is some random communication error going on and he's not in the hospital or something.

I believe Ken and his wife had about with COVID-19. Sorry I don't have any more information.

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    I believe Ken and his wife had about with COVID-19. Sorry I don't have any more information.
    He told me that himself. They both recovered awhile ago unless they both got it again. They're both fully vaccinated...

Without dragging a private affair any further into the public, I'll share that he attempted to call me pretty late last night and I missed it (he left no message) so he's at least that healthy. Attempts to return his call since then have failed.

I'd be willing and happy to work things out with Ken and get things straightened out if that's what he wants to do. The first time we spoke we chatted for what had to have been almost 2 hours. He seemed like a good guy.

Anyhow... I would like a forum moderator to PM me so we can discuss the situation in private so I know what is acceptable to post regarding this matter. I'm not a regular here so I don't want to be seen as some guy blowing into town just to throw rocks.

Also, thank you to those of you who have reached out privately.

Just for your information he has a YouTube channel and that's how I found out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    Just for your information he has a YouTube channel and that's how I found out about it.
    Then he probably just had it that once back in July. A breakthrough-breakthrough would be pretty rare. I don't know when his wife got it, but she had recovered the last we spoke.

I think Ken does such a good job he is over run with business.

It will be well worth the wait.

Be patient

I've had nothing but good service dealing with Ken.
    Regards, RON
    JBL Pro for home use!

I have been patient. I didn't contact Ken at all after informing him I shipped the drivers until the original expected return date had passed. I mailed them off and left him alone for 10-12 weeks. That's what he quoted so I respected it.

He has now had the drivers for over 18 weeks, which is approaching double the estimate that was quoted in writing, and a month beyond a second verbal agreement, and Ken continues to refuse to contact me. Last we spoke, having not yet even unboxed the drivers, he promised delivery by the end of November. In an effort to try to be extra patient and understanding with him (he cited some personal issues), I told him that was fine but there would be problems if they were not returned by Christmas. Well, it's 9 hours until Christmas and there are problems.

The only sign of life I've gotten since early November was that one missed call after beginning this thread. I'm still holding some hope that maybe next week after the holiday he'll reach out and we'll get this all ironed out. I don't know if he's embarassed that the timing got so out of line that he doesn't want to provide any news until it's good news, or angry with me for some reason(?), but there's nothing that has happened up until this point that can't be fixed with a conversation and some follow-through.

Anyhow, that's the purpose of this thread and it's served the purpose. I'm confident that he's aware I'd like to speak with him and that he's healthy enough to be spoken with. I'll either start another thread on the experience if needed or update my original thread on the L300s when the speakers are playing again.

Still here...Not dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    I have been patient. I didn't contact Ken at all after informing him I shipped the drivers until the original expected return date had passed. I mailed them off and left him alone for 10-12 weeks. That's what he quoted so I respected it.

He has now had the drivers for over 18 weeks, which is approaching double the estimate that was quoted in writing, and a month beyond a second verbal agreement, and Ken continues to refuse to contact me. Last we spoke, having not yet even unboxed the drivers, he promised delivery by the end of November. In an effort to try to be extra patient and understanding with him (he cited some personal issues), I told him that was fine but there would be problems if they were not returned by Christmas. Well, it's 9 hours until Christmas and there are problems.

The only sign of life I've gotten since early November was that one missed call after beginning this thread. I'm still holding some hope that maybe next week after the holiday he'll reach out and we'll get this all ironed out. I don't know if he's embarassed that the timing got so out of line that he doesn't want to provide any news until it's good news, or angry with me for some reason(?), but there's nothing that has happened up until this point that can't be fixed with a conversation and some follow-through.

Anyhow, that's the purpose of this thread and it's served the purpose. I'm confident that he's aware I'd like to speak with him and that he's healthy enough to be spoken with. I'll either start another thread on the experience if needed or update my original thread on the L300s when the speakers are playing again.
    The best I can do is apologize for my lack of expeditious turn arounds and lack of timely communications.

The last several months have been fraught with obstacles...both personally, and operationally...that have made life a challenge. I'm confident I'm not alone with this scenario in these Covid pandemic times. I've lost several friends and family members from this scourge, as well as some supply chain issues that have caused delays. I feel out of sync with the world by working some strange, inconsistent hours.

The individual that was providing my magnet recharge service was suddenly unable to provide the service any longer. On the bright side...from the severance of this arrangement...I was able to secure a magnetizing machine for my own in-shop capability.

I'm slowly getting caught up with my backlog. My mission is to do the best quality repair work in the business, and some feedback I've received recently from personnel inside Harman/JBL confirms that I'm succeeding at that. My one-man operation is obviously limited by the capacity of what a one-man operation can achieve, especially when speaking with customers around the globe on a regular basis. I want you to enjoy the quality of work that I've learned to do over the last 33+ years without worrying if it's been done right. From what I can see of other's previous work that comes in, I'm doing a damn good job of maintaining the legacy of Lansing quality. I'm even working on techniques to make these products last longer by developing kits that do not rot. I've got a recone kit for the 136A and all of it's equivalents and successors that uses a cloth surround cone from a JBL model. I can do the same thing with a 2245H, also. I will be posting some measurements that a customer in the film industry is doing with lab a quality measurement system with my "2236H" recone kit installed in a 2225H frame. His early comments in preliminary measurements included the word "perfect". Nice feedback to hear. Several customer that have agreed to this improvement are thrilled with the results. No more rotten foam surrounds, nor debris screens over the pole piece vent hole...and they sound fabulous...if not better than the originals, all with "blueprinted" moving mass adjustments that adhere to the factory Engineering Standards.

I hope everyone has a fabulous holiday season.

Season's Greetings!
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    The best I can do is apologize for my lack of expeditious turn arounds and lack of timely communications.
    Glad to hear you’re still with us!

Merry Christmas!

May next year be less dramatic for you and the rest of us!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Ken, you grabbed the olive branch and I accept your apology. Resuming private communications would sure be nice though. The only communication you've sent to me on this matter has been a Paypal invoice that just came in. I paid it in full immediately. I also left you a voicemail, text message, and email to that effect.

At the moment it seems the open forum is the only way we've managed to establish any dialog, so please let me know when I can expect to see the drivers shipped. Since the invoice is paid, my father is expecting that to happen pretty much immediately. I suspect UPS is open normal hours on the 27th. Or if there is some other problem that makes that impossible, contact me personally and we'll figure it out.

I look forward to hearing them playing.

To round things out, Ken called me a few minutes ago and we discussed all that needed discussed.

Thank you Ken

Here’s another “satisfied” customer of Ken’s 2236H upgrade. He completely restored my 4340s to perfection. The 2231s are at another level, I can’t stop listening to them. Here’s a look at his craftsmanship and expertise, thank you again Ken,
    Tony, San Diego.
    Name:  5E96A5CC-2134-4239-ADCB-154BD89FCA19.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  92.8 KB

We need to find some (or a) youngin(s) to learn this craft from Ken before it's too late. It's not unlike the lost knowledge of making vacuum tubes.

I caught up with Ken in LA at his shop about 18 months ago.

Ken is a delightful and genuine guy. I knocked a few times for an update on a job. Ken’s work is above and beyond.

Like everyone life and personal events gets in the way of our best laid plans. Who would have predicted the last 18 months. Be patient and keep in touch is my advice.

Thread Information