Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edgewound / Upland Loudspeaker MIA?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I caught up with Ken in LA at his shop about 18 months ago.

Ken is a delightful and genuine guy. I knocked a few times for an update on a job. Ken’s work is above and beyond.

Like everyone life and personal events gets in the way of our best laid plans. Who would have predicted the last 18 months. Be patient and keep in touch is my advice.
    Hey Ian! Thanks very much for the nice comments. I hope we can catch up again in person, soon.

Hey Mr. Widget! Thanks for the holiday wishes. Hope you're well, also, too!

Hey Ron! Thank you!

Hey Tony! Thanks so much for the review! I'm so happy that you're happy with my work. Be careful out there!

Randy's dad's 136As have been resuspended with a Full Service Teardown/Cleaning/Recharge, and are in the hands of FedEx.

I hope everyone is staying safe from this latest Omicron wave. I've got a dear friend in UCLA Medical Center being cared for because he couldn't breathe. He seems to be recovering, but is in guarded condition. I've had way too many losses this last couple of years...Please be well!
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hey Ken- Happy New Year!

Hey Ken- Happy New Year!
    Pleased and relieved to see you here and healthy!
    I'd also gotten concerned, but our friend Don pointed me here, where I should've thought to check.
    A couple of the emails awaiting you were from me.

Once you have a feel for your pace, I'd appreciate an eta for completing my
    2x D-130 that reached you in July and hopefully were on-deck before illness.
    Cheers,
    Wes

Hey, Ken. You don't have anything of mine to work on, and I'm not seeking your assistance at this time, so I simply am grateful to see you coming up on the forum! Truly, 2020 and 2021 were years many of us would gladly put behind us, but old relationships are things we want to keep, so good to see you!

As Curtis Mayfield encouraged us, "We just keep on keeping on."
    Out.

Hi Ken, glad to hear you and your wife have recovered from the 'vid. I also had it and survived, yay.

..How's my lone 128H doing? If I remember right, come February, you'll have had it a year..

Glad to hear from Ken again. And I just tested positive for Covid in a home-test last night even though I'm three-time Moderna vaccinated.

I'm hoping when they need it, I can pack my 2245s into my car and drive cross-country to visit my daughter in LA with a side trip to Upland! Beats packing them for shipping! Ken, do you take walk-ins?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi Phil,

Great to hear from you. Take care and hope it passes quickly.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Glad to hear from Ken again. And I just tested positive for Covid in a home-test last night even though I'm three-time Moderna vaccinated...
    Yeah, that was some bad marketing. They're really more similar to the flu shot, designed to give our bodies a heads up and produce some antibodies in reaction to the shot(s) so if we come into contact with the virus we'll still host it, but it shouldn't cause a life threatening reaction. The idea of having a force-field around us that Covid couldn't penetrate was kind of how it was interpreted. Hope your symptoms are mild and you have a quick recovery.

Hah, I did the same thing a few months after the virus hit driving a van load of gear to Texas as an excuse to deliver a drill press to my daughter in Florida. Hey, any excuse to see the grandkids.

... I can pack my 2245s into my car and drive cross-country to visit my daughter in LA with a side trip to Upland! Beats packing them for shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Yeah, that was some bad marketing. They're really more similar to the flu shot, designed to give our bodies a heads up and produce some antibodies in reaction to the shot(s) so if we come into contact with the virus we'll still host it, but it shouldn't cause a life threatening reaction. The idea of having a force-field around us that Covid couldn't penetrate was kind of how it was interpreted. Hope your symptoms are mild and you have a quick recovery.
    Right now it feels like a bad cold but, in deference to my age and other chronic medical issues, my doctor requested the monoclonal antibody infusion which I got this morning at the local hospital. Because my test results from the PCR test haven't come back and the only positive I have is the Abbott in-home test, I couldn't do the Pfizer pills. The mAb infusion only requires a script from a doctor stating the underlying issues and age.

Came with all sorts of reading material about how it's not actually approved, etc., but I figure if it's good enough for a disgraced former President, it should be good enough for me! It is keyed exclusively for the Omicron variant now, since that's nearly 100% of infections in our area. I'm only looking not to get any sicker. Stock up on those N95s and KN95s y'all.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Apologies... a bit OT.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I guess it is more difficult than you would assume trying to communicate subtle, nuanced information to people with all levels of education, differing levels of acceptance of information from "the government", and all the baggage that this has.

On top of that, the experts are learning about this in real time. The good news is that serious effort and real money has been spent on vaccines and treatments, so even though the vaccines are less effective in being that force-field for the variants, they are definitely a seriously good thing. Everyone that I know who has been vaccinated and had a "breakthrough" infection has had a relatively mild case and been able to test negative within about a week. Whereas a colleague who is an anti-vaxer has had Covid three times in the last two years and his mother is dealing with the long haul version of the disease.

I realize this is only anecdotal, but regardless of your beliefs, please consider getting properly vaccinated if you have the opportunity.

Right now it feels like a bad cold...
    I hope it doesn't get worse than that and it passes quickly.

Widget

Ken, there is a bloke here in Australia who pushes the removal of the foam surround on 2231/136a for the pleated type surround like in your 2236h kit.

I have seen some measurements of his speakers and the FS is now restricted to around 35hz. Is this an issue? What do yours measure like that?

Would someone have to adjust the tuning of their cabinet to suit a driver if the FS is now roughly 15hz higher than original?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I hope it doesn't get worse than that and it passes quickly.
    Sorry for the OT tangent, but today (Day 5 or 4, depending) I'm no worse off. Got about 8-hrs of sleep on single dose of Alka Seltzer Nighttime cold relief and woke up with a bit of a sore throat but no real coughing, and no runny nose. Aches and pains seem to go away overnight but that could be due to a good mattress! Thanks for the support, and now back to your regular programming.

I would like to know about changes in performance using a pleated surround on the 2245. I'm sure I'll need that work someday. Hard to believe but I've owned these 4345 clones now for 13-years.

Phil,

Glad to hear that your symptoms are mild.

Hi Phil,

Perhaps fire up your sound system over the weekend to distract from the rather “pointless” noise from Down Under…Lol.

Thanks to all!
    Quick update: The monoclonal antibody (mAb) infusion has me symptom-free less than 24-hours after the therapy other than feeling a little tired. Now just hoping my wife's PCR test shows negative. She's not old enough to qualify for mAb.

Enjoying my expanding collection of SACDs during the time off. I'm up to two now!

Thread Information