Thread: New owner of old L150A's here! Help please.

New owner of old L150A's here! Help please.

Just bought a pair of 22 year old L150A's for a very good price from a co-worker. I had a pair of L100's from the same era that I sold years ago (dumb kid that I was). Anyway, I've posted some pics. I need to know what to do about the water damage on the one speaker cabinet. Also, I've ordered new surrounds for the woofers and passive radiators through ebay, and plan on doing it myself to save about $100. Is this difficult to do? I am pretty good with things like this. But is there anything special, any tricks I need to know about? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Dood...

Since it's your first post, you are allowed to lament selling L100's. But, IMO, that is something you will never look back-on with your new badboys. Nice snag!! Pristine grills, great looking MF and tweets - man, the seller had forgotten how good those will sound with some BASS!!!

Search for "Resurround" - there's some step-by-step noise there that should alleviate your newbie-ness. It's all good.

Woodwork - same, same. Try various Boolean strings. Best stuff has been posted by member "Audiobeer". If you can't find something relevant, send him a "pm" and direct him to this Thread. He's a great guy - certainly a help.

Keep us posted!

(ps - how does the innards look?)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Ask and ye shall recieve...PS this is a wonderful site. I'll keep you posted
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow...

Like I said - the seller was clueless about the potential of those. The surrounds were toast a LONG time ago. You will be treated to such a great sound when you work is done. There's been much posted about that edition here on the Forum - search around.

And, when doing the refurbishing, go slow, be patient in your work - she likes it slow...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Steve Gonzales

Those are Easy!

Congrats on the new L150's, you're gonna love em'. Audiobeer is an expert finish man and so am I. Here are is a link to my latest project. Maybe you can gleen some info from it also to supplement his advise. Good Luck!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...3&page=1&pp=15

now you can forget about your old L100's. In 1981-82 while stationed in okinawa japan I bought my stereo. I chose a pair of L150a's. but they were so heavy I didnt buy them.I couldn't take them to Korea where the marines stuck me in a tent for the next 4 months. through the years I always wished I had gotten them.last year I resurected my old stereo ( Kenwood Super Eleven ) and bought a pair of L150a's. They are fantastic. When I got them they needed new surrounds, I had never done it before but instalation was easy. I got my surrounds on ebay from looneytoon. he told me they used 2 different diameter cones so i measured mine and he sent the right ones also his kit had a cd with a30hz tone to align the magnet so i didn't have to cut the paper cone, shim the center, and then replace the cone.it went smooth and fairly easy very good instructions. following his replacement instructions I found the woofer had been pluged in bacwards. good luck take your time the glue takes a long time to dry plenty of work time with the glue setting so you can get them perfect
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

Steve Gonzales

Second that!

Hey 150a/250ti Somebody's getting some WOOFERS!

can't wait. afraid my very cool 150's will become the old rear speakers seldom seen or heard.
    whenever i see a turtle crossing the road i always stop, get out of my car and help it.

bryantkenneth

Orange County Speaker

In addition to the foam I replaced the spiders, sound a lot better! OCS was very helpful.

Thread Information