I all,
I have recently been playing with a variable active Xover instead of my fixed frequency (900 Hz) LCR filter in a 2 ways system. The top is a JBL LE85A in a 400Hz hypex round horn driven by a tube push pull, the low-mid/bottom is a LE15A in bass reflex driven by high current SS amp.
From info on this and other forums, and from speaker specs, I expected the LE85A to have to be Xover'd around 800Hz, yet, I can keep tuning the filter down to 550-600 Hz and I think that the sounds actually improve. Only when I get to around 360Hz does the sound becomes somewhat 'nasal' and there is a clearly aubible (to me) degradation.
What am I supposed to be listening to to find out if my Xover is set too low? I am starting to seriously question my listening skills!!.

The only 2 things that I consider as making this possible are that I do all my listening at 'socially acceptable level' (around 80-85 dB at the listening position) and that my horns are probably over specified (they are LeCLeach'h type and even for Fc of 400Hz they are bigger than a 300Hz tractrix when the full expansion is taken into consideration, the diameter is 46cm, about 18"), but this does not change the intrinsic properties of the LE85A...

Opinions?? Thanks much